1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Laser Phlatprinter

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by Alex_bg, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Alex_bg

Alex_bg New Member

This are some pictures of my latest modification .....I'm using ~10W CO2 RF excited laser for Dremel replacement....it's clean and quiet now :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ....and first test
    [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Now we're talkin!
    This is awesome!
    I've been wanting to do something like this myself but don't understand much about the laser part of it. Also the cost of the laser is a factor for me.
    Do you have any video of it in action?

3. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Wow, how much does that cost? it's awesome :D

4. Alex_bg

Alex_bg New Member

Price is a factor , but you guys in USA are so lucky....so many good deals on Ebay for lasers are shipped only to USA ...anyway I paid for mine ~150$ plus shipping charges and with some help from a laser forum guys i get it working...this was my first laser too.
    Laser head including mirror and lens was 185$ ...good Chinese quality :)
    i do not have a video yet but if is are any interest I will try to record something these days ...is not much to be seen on a laser side anyway ...CO2 is deep infrared ..

5. 3DMON

$185 total isn't bad. I've seen good deals on Ebay but was clueless as to what I was looking at. One day I just might have to play around with this stuff.

6. Alex_bg

Alex_bg New Member

No , is 150$ for laser tube and RF exciter +185$ for a laser head with optics ...plus a small compressor for a air-assist .....It's expensive but for me is worth every cent.

7. 3DMON

Oh.
    That was the more like the amount I was thinking. Still that's not too bad considering.

8. MartinT

MartinT Member

Wow, imagine that as a ready buy retail Phlatprinter MK3 option version, undoubtfully the clostest to heaven in this life you could ever get! :D :lol:

(ps, the prefix MK is pronounced as "MARK" and not as many incorrectly say "EM KAY"..(and it originates from the military.))

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

So, how do you stop the laser beam from burning the ceiling? Thick copper plate inside the lid?

10. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I am really interested in the speed you can cut at, something like that has to have a low ipm I would think

11. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

WOW under $400USD for a laser mod. WAY less than I was thinking one would be.
    I was guessing the anti-ceiling burning device would have to be non-reflective.

I'm also guess skewing of the balsa was no problem.

Any way to remove the vapors? Way back (pre-phlatPrinter days) when I was toying with the idea of a laser, that seemed to be a concern.

12. MartinT

MartinT Member

Oh thou silly one, everybody and their grandmother knows that you can deflect the beam proper with a standard Jedi light saber, and if the chrystals are worn out just cup the beam with your hands... How easy can it get? :mrgreen:

13. RC-Rerun

RC-Rerun New Member

Alex,

Details / Video PLEASE !!!

Dell

14. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:shock: This is incredible! Now we just need to figure a way to make an attachment for the MK3 and we are all set :D
    Really nice work Alex! Simply amazing
    Thank you for sharing
    Mark and Trish

15. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Wow, great job Alex!! I would LOVE to see a video as well.

16. crash5050

crash5050 Member

17. lovebugjunkie

lovebugjunkie New Member

Very nice, what cam program are you using? How do you keep it from burning when moving between parts?

18. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

This is awesome! Like others, I'd LOVE to know/see more.

19. Alex_bg

Alex_bg New Member

O so many questions :) ......but I'm happy you guys liked the idea :D

Mark,I'm sure MK3 will be amazing machine even without laser attachment but if you do some overhead detachable laser module will be a best of both worlds ...milling and laser cutting/engraving , in one machine. Now when I wont to mill something I have to reattach my Z gantry ...by the way this is very easy but still ..takes time

Dennis , right now I have nothing installed on top lead and laser strikes directly , but I assume with 10W laser beam and far from a focal point is not a big deal , eventually I have to install something ... aluminum may be ...I don't wont to burn my Phlaty ;)

Cutting speed for 2mm balsa is more then 25IPM ...for 6mm depron I can go much faster

Software is standard Skechup-Phlatscript-Mach3 .I'm trying to stick to the original idea as much as possible :D ...laser beam is controlled by MACH3 Z DIR PIN ,ON/OFF beam control for now ...I just change plunge speed value in Phlatscript to the maximum

I will try to record a short video , and upload more pictures these days.

20. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

This is great, super good job. Its a modded MKI it looks like.

Any links on a good crash course on the subject?
    A parts list of the major components maybe?
    At that price I'd gladly learn about and mod mine.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Some industrial machines that I've seen have used a copper mass to "receive" the laser beam. The beam is pointed directly at the copper plate or bar, which has too much thermal mass to melt so it only absorbs the energy. I'd be afraid that aluminum might tend to reflect the beam, especially if the surface reached melting temperatures.

22. JamesRS

JamesRS New Member

We have a laser die cutter where I work, how do you cool your laser. The one at work has a tank that holds 20 gallons of distilled water. I know you will but, Please be careful nice mod

23. Alex_bg

Alex_bg New Member

Laser I'm using is CO2 10W RF Excited Air cooled .

24. ZombieBait

ZombieBait New Member

"What a brave new world that should have such people in it"! (sic). Well done sir! :eek: I was recently spending time looking and wondering if those 300mW 'pen' lasers would be sufficient to task (a la Motori plotter). I wasn't even aware of "RF Excited laser". Now, I too would be intested in being able to swap out modules on the MKIII. ;)

25. RC-Rerun

RC-Rerun New Member

Alex,

Any luck on a video and additional photo's of this mod? I for one would appreciate if you could put together a little "how to" report on this amazing mod. Maybe include a list of the manufacturers and model/part numbers of the units you used, as well as the assembly steps to put it all together.

Any more info would be greatly appreciate... I truly wish to adapt this to a MK-II

Dell