1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

LED light strip

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by thunder hawk, Sep 9, 2011.

1. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    Hi folks.

I have been approached by a manufacturer of LED lighting of all kinds. :cool: :twitch: :doubleup:
    I'm going to be placing an order for LED lighting and controllers shortly.
    I am doing this for an architectural lighting project I have coming up soon.

I also want to start carrying flexible LED strips for sale on my web site.
    The kind of stuff like you guys can find in most hobby shops.
    If any of you on this BB have any ideas as to what you might want to
    see me carry at my web store, please post your thoughts or ideas here. :02cents:

I hope all of you will give me some feedback or advice.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
    George :D

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

George;

Not sure I understand the question fully... Do you mean carry in regards to LED lighting, or hobby products in general?

If LED, I would like some inexpensive discrete high intensity LEDs. I used to get them form some website that had the word squid in the URL. Not sure what it had to do with LEDs, but they were about a quarter a piece, and SUPER Bright in various colors. The website has not been up in at least 5 years. I've half heartedly looked every now and then, and haven't been able to find another source without having to order 100 of one color, and not knowing if they were really high intensity or what the viewing angle really is. It would also be nice to be able to get the resisters too as last time I had to order from digikey or mouser and it was about a buck for the resisters, and something like $5 for shipping.

If it's R/C in general... I checked your site. Looks like you now just carry the micro stuff... I would like to find a place to get micro incidentals (Batteries, props mostly) and only pay real shipping costs. Same with hardware in general. Hard to justify $10 worth of batteries and $8 shipping.

3. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

I will not be carrying single leds at this time. I will be selling flexible LED strips.

If you want super bright LED's try Alan's Electronics.
    Their prices are pretty good for single LED's or bulk.

Hope this helps.
    GHB :D

4. Helno

Helno Member

The key thing with these really is the price per metre. I bought four reels of soft white to install in my deck railing. I think it worked out to less than $5 per metre after shipping.

5. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

That's a not a bad price. :cool:

6. GorillaBob

GorillaBob New Member

Thunder Hawk,

I carry the LED strip Lights and unless you are attending events with night flying, have an active night flying group close by, or have a good lighting set up that really interests people, then sales are a bit slow. Of course those of you living further East than Arizona, you tend to have a more dense [in number I mean] population base than I have here in the west. [80% of my customer base leaves for 4 months during the summer]

Just as as FYI for those of you with really great electronics skills, I met a fellow in California that had close to 100 feet of these mounted/embedded in the Elepor Foam of his plane. He also had miles of wire running through the plane. Each two inch section of the light shared the Positive connection with the power source but two inch each section had its own Negative connection back to a controller that he had built and ran his won custom code. From his radio, he could toggle his gear switch and switch through 8 or 10 different lighting schemes. His plane gave off so much light that I could read a book while standing next to it!!

7. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

I am going to start producing edge lit signs here in the coming months. The kind of thing for a desk or shelf. This is what I'm going to do with the LED's I'm getting. I do intend to sell LED's for RC use.

I have been lucky enough to team up with some bright engineers who are buying a lot of LED lighting. They offered me a chance to get associated with the manufacturer and to get involved in some decorative lighting design work. Very cool stuff. :cool: :cool: :cool:

The kind of edge light design work I'll be doing for this job is not something you can do on a pp.
    Mark would need to design a very stout pp for that kind of work. Hint Hint :ugeek: :ugeek:

I'll keep you folks posted. When I get the flexible strips and controllers in I'll post pictures.

Cheers.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:D this is going to be great George! I wish you suscess and happiness on this adventure :good:
    Looking forward to your new designs.
    BTW how much for a Phlatboyz desk sign? :D
    Mark and Trish

9. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

Mark,

Just send me the art you want on the sign in DXF format and I'll send you a quote.

Cheers.
    GHB :cool:

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Awesome! Will do brother :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish