1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Limit Switch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by TigerPilot, Jul 19, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out where the best place is to put the limit switches on the y and the z axis' in the pp . Did anybody put limit switches on their pp and if yes where? A few pics will be great.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep, I put them in. I'm pretty sure I posted a pic somewhere here. Just not sure where

3. rcav8r

Ha as luck would have it, my PP is in the header and you can see the Z axis limit switches....

But for more detail.... try here:
    viewtopic.php?f=266&t=2245#p24123

4. TigerPilot

Thanks,rcav8r, btw, I was going to ask the question of 'where do you connect the E-Stop'? I checked the Easy CNC site and they don't mention anything about the E-Stop, just the limit switches. Where did you connect your E-Stop?

5. rcav8r

Hummm I'll have to check when I get home, but i think it was a pin on the board. I'm not using the Easy CNC board though. When it is hit, it shuts EVERYTHING down. All axis, the tool, and vac all stop.

6. TigerPilot

I think Randy has a E-Switch too but I remember correctly he too is not using the Easy CNC board. I don't think that Easy CNC has the E-Switch option. I hope I'm wrong, though.

7. rcav8r

OK I lied... On my way home it struck me that I AM using the easy cnc board. Not sure what I was thinking when I said I wasn't using it.... :oops:

Anywho... I'll check how I did it when I have a chance to go downstairs. Gotta go make dinner for the troops, and take my daughter to work.

8. rcav8r

Hay Yoram; I just checked my E-stop. Appears all I do is break the negate power lead. Not sure if that's the best way, but it sure does work well.

Dave

9. TigerPilot

Yeah, that will work, it will disconnect the power supply and shut it off. Not the ideal way of doing it but better than nothing. I can't believe Mechatronics don't have a provision for an E-Stop on their boards. What were they thinking?

I know that there are empty connections on the terminal block that may be used but I'm not sure about how to do it and I don't feel like frying my computer. I guess I'll have to ask over at CNCZone

10. rcav8r

Well if you find anything out, please post. I know you can do certain things with the various pins ( and they are isolated I believe) but it requires software... I wanted to keep the E-stop purely physical.

Just curious, what would having a provision on the board for an E-stop buy you? Cutting power sure does work well.

11. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

If your using the planetcnc board it has pins for an e stop.

12. TigerPilot

I know, Shaun, but I went with the Easy CNC and now I'm kind of stuck with it. For a while, anyway.

13. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I have looked all over and can't find where to hook up the E stop on the easy cnc board. I'm sure it's one of the break out pins going to the parallel port. Maybe Mach is where you can determine which pins...
    Maybe email the Easycnc guy and see what they have to say.

14. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

15. TigerPilot

Tim, that relay is way overkill at 40A. The one at 10A is enough with a wide margin of error.

I found out that in Mach3, and that is what I'm using, I can hook up an E-Switch. I'll do it soon and I'll post the pictures. In the meantime, here is my limit switch setup for the Z-axis. The Y-axis will be done by tomorrow, most likely. I did not hook the switches to the board limit switches location, I hooked them up to be controlling Mach3. I was hoping that I will not need an over-ride switch, if I use it in Mack3, but something is not working quite as it should with my switches themselves and I still will have to use an over-ride switch. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This looks great Yoram! way to go. I love that you are jumping right in on the mods :good: Thank you for sharing.
    Mark and Trish

17. TigerPilot

The E-switches came today as did the override switches. It took them two day to get here after paying for them. Not like SDP and their pulley which took almost two weeks at almost six time the shipping cost.

Since the switches were so inexpensive I order two of each. I connected the E-switches to Mach3 through pin 10. It's better than controlling the power supply. I also hooked up the override switches. I'm controlling the limit switches in Mach3 too. The EasyCNC board can control the limit switches too but if you trigger a limit switch, the other axis' still run. I tried it with the x-axis and the z-axis still ran. Not good. Imagine you have a limit switch triggered on the downside of the z-axis, now the z-axis is not controlled anymore but the program still runs. It can damage a lot of things if you get to a point where the z-axis is supposed to raise so that another axis can traverse at max speed. The tool can break, the work piece can break and much more. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]