1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Looking for one of those kewl numeric keypads?

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII MODIFICATIONS' started by Anonymous, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

You know, the ones like Mark connected and attached to his MKII. If you're among the first people to go here http://tinyurl.com/kj2w5c , you might get one for less than $10 shipped!
    If they're all gone, search for "Targus Numeric Keypad" w/ 2 USB Ports - they're listed elsewhere for just a little more $$ :D
    (By the way, they will work on a MK1 or MK1.5 also.) ;)

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Thanks Dorsal. I bought one, 2 left. :cool:

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

:D You're welcome!
    I got #5, Crash got #4, you got #3 . . . . ;)

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that is a great price! Can't beat that deal. Thank you for posting it Dorsal.

5. meistertek

meistertek Member

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I've done some research on this, since last night. Now unfortunately, I've got some many ideas on how to hack a keyboard. :D

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

8. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Yes, but shipping is extra where as the ebay one is 'shipping included'.

10. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

11. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Ahh, I have a Microcenter right down the street from me :D

12. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hey guys, I have started looking at gamepads. The cordless one have very good range and supposedly no lag, because they are meant for gaming. To test things out, I tried my RealFight controller and it worked. And the jog speed is actually proportional. Set to a max of 120 units/min, I get a low of 6 and a max of like 111 which follow the stick motion. And there is a nice dead spot at stick center, so it unlikely to accidentally move you cnc machine. There is even exponential, which I set on the Z. And I get as low as 0.3 units/min with that setting. To set all this up, you need to use the "Keygrabber" software in the Mach3 folder.

-Kwok

13. kram242

Kwok do you have any more info on your game pad? maybe a little video showing us the way the proportional works that sounds like it would work great. I am going to look into the key grabber software in mach3 :)
    Mark

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark,

I will put up a video, later tonight or tomorrow. I just can't seem to get my mic working, right now. I don't have a running PP, so it will just be a virtual demo with the Mach3 screen only. I can show how to set up "Keygrabber" also. I'm not using a gamepad right now, but the rc sim controller for realflight (same thing really). It's basically a tx controller, so dual joystick with a gameport plug. I use a game port/usb adapter for it. I found a pic of it on the web: Attached files [​IMG]

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

16. kram242

Ok Kwok this is AWSOME! thank you so much for sharing. No you have me thinking of so many ways to control the Phlatprinter. :D
    Kwok I would like to embed this video if that is ok with you to make it easy for people to watch?
    I also will be trying this out live and showing how its done once I get a joystick, and I can't wait to try this out.
    Thank you again for sharing this, it is really cool!
    Mark

17. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hi Mark,

I've uploaded the video to youtube and it's now embedded above.

If you want to go cordless, I was narrowing the choice of gamepads to the "Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2". Cheapest place I found for it was Amazon for ~$33 shipped:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless ... 98-0691859

Yes, it's very interesting to play with this stuff. Before the gamepad idea, I also had the idea to use a wireless keyboard. I found out keyboards use a matrix. So for example, if it's 10x10, you can have 100 keys/switches. All that means is that you have 2 sets of 10 terminals and you just connect a switch to any two pairs. I took apart a regular keyboard and the pcb is tiny, something like 2" x 3". That's the only thing you need and some switches. I was also wondering if you could set up a circuit to automatically pulse the switch to control joy speed. Anyways, I just wanted to mention this, if anyone can make use of it. I like the gamepad idea much better.

-Kwok

18. kram242

So really what your saying is that we could build our own controller unit! :) How cool would that be! You could make it look like the professional units We could make up pdfs to print out on sticker paper as a template type skin that would allow you to have the labels for your buttons and you could change the color to match the color you paint your Phlatprinter :D
    Thanks again Kwok I think this will lead to great new mods for the Phlatprinters!
    Mark
    [​IMG]

19. kram242

I am trying to set up the keypad but I noticed that even thought its selected as a USB device and its enabled it will not let me define the keys in the part of the video at about 1:45
    It like its not really seeing it. I can however setup my keys in the Keyboard keys section and it works but it also changes the keys on the main keyboard as well. I would like to be able to set it up like you are doing as its own controller but it does not look like it will work that way. I have it set up to allow for enter as the shift to toggle the jog speeds and that works, but i would like to set the 000 key on the keypad to zero all my axis once I get the machine jogged to its starting position. Any ideas on how you would go about this? Also is there anyway to start Mach3 using this grabber file so that it uses it every time once its set up?
    Thanks Kwok
    Mark

20. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Yea, custom controllers for everyone! And you can hide the guts, too. :p

Check this out. This guy made a custom unit with a Shuttle Pro 2. I lack the experience to know what I need in a controller. So I've been looking for video of controllers in use. This is the only videos, I could find: http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/spro ... oject.html

My keypad should be delivered today. So I mess around with it and see if I can get it working.

When you open keygrabber, it already has the default setting file loaded. So you just need to hit the button to start Mach3. I tried using dos batch file, to start them both with one double click. It worked but, you can't shut down keygrabber afterwards? If you open Mach3 through keygrabber, then keygrabber closes automatically when you shut dowm Mach3.

One thing worth noting is you can use multiple means to define controller function. Mach3 actually has plugins, that you can activate (some you need to DL). For example for the Shuttle Pro 2, xbox 360 controller, and generic joystick. These controllers won't need to be configured. Their joystick plugin is supposed to be v2 with dual stick support, but when you DL it it's only v1 (only support x & Y on a single stick). That's how I had my controller configured orginally and I added just the Z axis with keygrabber. Now all 3 of my axis is configured with keygrabber. Another thing is that gamepads have like 12 buttions. You can also use the driver software, that comes with the gamepad, to configure the buttons.

-Kwok

21. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I found documentation for KeyGrabber. Look in appendix 3 of this pdf:
    http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach2_6.11_Custom.pdf

I also found the way to run the KeyGrabber/Mach3 combo with one short cut:
    Make a copy of the Mach 3 Mill shortcut and Rename it. Then change the target path to "C:Mach3KeyGrabber.exe /p Mach3Mill" instead of the original "C:Mach3Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill". Obviously, if you installed Mach3 in a different locations, you will have to adjust it for your computer.

I got my keypad today, played around with it, and have concluded it a bust. I just don't see a good future for it. The problem is windows sees it as the keyboard and not a seperate device. Dispite the fact that KeyGrabber list's the keypad as a HID device; KeyGrabber is looking for buttons in the "HID Keys" tab. And the keypad has no buttons.

Another thing is that the KeyGrabber documentation, said that if you reassign a keyboard key then it's no longer available to any other program. And in fact you get a warning screen when you reassign a keyboard key. So it's probably best not to mess with a keypad, where you have to reassign keys. If you want to hack an entire usb keyboard, then that is fine, because all the the keys are there for you to use.

Sorry Mark, but most likely you can't make the keypad a separate device, like you want to.

-Kwok

22. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

23. kram242

Good job Kwok! this information is superb!
    Troy has done a fantastic job with the shuttle pro video setups I love that little thing and I just have to have one :)
    Mark

24. joecnc2006

joecnc2006 New Member

Also try using the logitech wireless controller, Mach3 has a new plugin for it and works great, I used it on my CNC machine.

25. kram242

Cool deal! thanks Joe
    I love Logitech products they always seem to be high quality
    Check out their little shuttle :)
    [​IMG]

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=844233
    good price too! I wonder how hard it would be to write a plug in for this?
    Mark