1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Metric users?

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by Niels, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Niels

Niels New Member

Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a PP3, but since I'm from the other side of the pond we use the metric system.

Is there any disadvantage to the PP3 being inchish for metric people?

Cheers,
    Niels

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the PP cares what the units are. I draw in a mix of Imperial and metric in SU, and have had no problems cutting anything,
    Also there are quite a few other PP users out there from countries that use metric, and I don't believe have any issues.

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Niels, welcome to the forum!

A car build in the USA will drive just as good in Europe as it does here in the US even though it's built with screws and nuts in the inch system. The same thing goes for the PP ///. It will run just fine and dandy, like rcav8r
    said, in metric. It doesn't care one way or the other. It just gets commands form a software program that resides in your computer. The program will tell the machine how many steps to go and that's what the machine will do. It's up to the program to make sure that the amount of steps are correct and Mach3, EMC2 and, I think, the USB board that you can get the the PP will all do it.

4. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

The units of measure is pretty ubiquitous. I tend to use both units when designing and create imperial code. Sketchup will even accept both unit types without needing to change modes. Like entering a distance you can manually type 2.5cm or 10" and it will translate the units properly.

The only thing I can think of will be that you will probably need to acquire an appropriate power plug for your country and make sure that you set the included power supply to 220.

TT