1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Model Rocket Plywood Stand Template!

Discussion in 'Functional Art/Craft Designs and Others' started by xtremeRCpilot, Jul 11, 2010.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Guys,
    A Friend of mine gave me a model Estes R2-D2 Star Wars Rocket and after building it for my Son I realized I needed a few things to fire it up.
    So I came up with this stand design to make from 3/4" plywood I had laying in my garage! I cut the file on Fan Fold Foam and traced it to make my free hand cuts. :)
    Its not necessary to make the lightning holes but I thought it would look cool! :D
    The outer holes on the 10" base/disc are for your 1 1/2" drywall screws to hold the two stand pieces together and the middle inline holes are for adjustment of the 1/8" steel rod you will need for the rocket guide rod( see pics)... :cool:
    The only thing else needed is a scrap of sheet metal or non flammable material under your rocket to prevent scorching of the wood base!!
    Hope you can find use for this! ENJOY!!!

Thanks
    John Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Rocket launch pad.cnc (32.1 KB)Â [​IMG] Rocket launch pad.skp (592 KB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

John you are amazing! This is really cool! Thank you for sharing this and the story.
    A true carpenter. I see you routed the leading edges. :mrgreen:
    Now you have to design a foamie that can withstand the G's of being launched from there and have control surfaces so you can glide it back to earth! Maybe add one of those little cams to go for the ride lol
    Nice job Brother
    Mark and Trish

3. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thank you Brother!! :) I was having fun building it and indeed put a few finishing touches on it :D , I would so love to design a foamie rocket for this and see how far it goes before going up in flames LOL :D I will post video of R2 when we get him up, well, if he goes up, not a real aerodynamic design :lol:

Thanks
    John

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

lol I know I find it hard to believe it will fly straight! :) But if that does work it seems would could design some really cool looking aircraft for this launch pad.
    Good luck with the launch!
    Mark and Trish