1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Moment of Inspiration : Fantastic 3D Nurbs modeler.

Discussion in 'CAD - 3D design Software' started by pierrearchi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. pierrearchi

pierrearchi New Member

Hi all,

I'm a bit amazed no one speaks about MOI (Moment of Inspiration), a fantastic and very easy nurbs modeler (few tools, great 2d editor, working fast in 3d like Sketchup)... Maybe i miss a post about it :think: . Try it and you will let Sketchup in the garage :good: ... Maybe phlatbrothers could make a gcode script for it ... a lot a great scripts improve the final release. Fantastic 3d software .... The MOI master, Michael Gibson, come from Rhino team ....

Try it an you will change the way you make 3d models .... :twitch: (even for a 10 years Sketchup user like me).

You have a great high level sketchup export tool too inside.

http://moi3d.com/

PS : dream of a MOI slice script .... from nurbs.

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You know why SU will not stay 'in the garage', Pierre? Because it's FREE!!! :D :tease:

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Moi has sure come along way and is a really powerful software, but Yoram is right in the sense that SketchUp allows us to do pretty much everything we need to do (sometimes we have to trick it :) ) for free. So for a modeler on a budget we really can't pass it up.
    However, It is the time to start looking at 'other' software's options geared more toward the 3D aspect of modeling with the up and coming release of the HBOT pro 3D printer! :good:
    Its always good to know whats out there, and we thank you for sharing it.
    Mark and Trish

4. pierrearchi

pierrearchi New Member

Hi all,

You have 100% right guys ... Moi isn't free :think: :think: . I have asked to MOI Guru , Michael Gibson to create a light version free (and not only a 30 day trial). I'm waiting for his reply. :think: :think: This tool is so incredible and so easy ... even to make flat pack components models in 2D, Mark with very useful tool (to make tab or to make hole tab along curves). Quality models when you export in Sketchup or other cnc tool is very good too.

Keep in touch about it.

Pierre.

PS : HBOT pro 3D printer. When ??? What's better than a UP printer for exemple, Mark ? Quickest, cheapest, more precise .... :questions:

5. pierrearchi

pierrearchi New Member

Reply from Michael Gibson, MOI guru :

" ...Hi Pierre - SketchUp was not originally free - it only became free after it was purchased by Google and they wanted it to be used to generate content for Google Earth.

As you may be aware, Google is a mega-billion dollar company and so they are able to use their vast quantity of other income to offset anything like a reduction in income that would happen by giving away SketchUp for free.

On the other hand, I'm just a single person working on MoI - I don't have the billions and billions of dollars that Google has to work with, so the approach that Google uses for making its software free just simply does not apply to my vastly different situation.

So I do not plan on making a free MoI version available - in fact having a huge number of users who will all need a lot of help learning how to use the software and meanwhile not wanting to pay anything for it would actually be a very bad situation for me, I would basically have to withdraw from doing support and interacting with users directly myself as I do now.

It works far better for me to charge for MoI and to be able to work with people who can recognize its value enough to know that they're actually getting a bargain at its current price which is quite low in comparsion to the majority of CAD applications that are out there.

In the future at some point when things reach a certain maturity level, I might do a "lite" version that has some subset of functionality but even at that time I would not plan on it being free. The model of making it free just does not work well with the kind of business that I want to run, I actually much prefer having a smaller user base that I can interact more directly with.

I probably have more of the reverse problem - instead of making it free I should probably be charging more money for it than I am doing right now. The main reason I don't do that is to try and make it more accessible to artists who don't have a particularly big budget to spend on software. It's one of the things that has helped some people be able to get into using CAD to help with their artwork. "

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Well, you tried Pierre :) I can understand his situation completely and maybe we can find another cheaper solution, but as he said I think that he is charging a great price for great software.
    Here is a very powerful software called Silo that I think could be great use for the 3D printing aspect of character creation as well as most anything else and for 159 its not bad at all!
    http://nevercenter.com/silo/
    Mark and Trish