1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Motor Mounts

Discussion in 'Functional Aircraft Accessories' started by kram242, Jan 24, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hey guyz,
    One of the members asked me to help him with this design, so that we could Phlatprint it! :)
    For use with 1/4" / 6mm designs
    The parts are stepped 1/32 for each pass
    No carrier need just pop the wood in set the bit and go for it.

Here you go 1/8" plywood motor mounts ready to go.
    Use a 1/16" bit with 1/8" aircraft plywood
    Cuts at 50 ipm
    Check out the video :D
    Have fun :mrgreen:
    Attached files [​IMG] MotorMount.cnc (216.1 KB)Â MotorMount.skp (1.3 MB)Â

2. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Very nice and clean!!! Don't get no better than that!!

3. KX-5

KX-5 Member

What a great addition to the resources! Does the 50 ipm relate to the MKII or both models?

Thanks!

4. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

yea mark...way to go...wish i had your programming skills...randy.

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

What is the speed of your Dremel when cutting this material?

6. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Very nice!! Geat job on these!! :D

John

7. kram242

Thanks guys, I really have not tried to much in the way of wood carving on the Phlatprinters, but I have to say it works great. I was using the rotozip at full speed and the multi pass going at 1/32 per pass @ 50 ipm with the rapids at 400 ipm. I think the feeds could have been even faster but I did not want to push it :)
    Give it a try when you get a chance. the aircraft ply is really nice stuff to cut with that 1/16 chipper bit.
    I'm thinking 1/8 ply flight box? :)
    Mark

8. kram242

KX-5
    If you have your original Phlatprinter running at 50 ipm you should have no problems, if you do you can always do it slower, I just did a benchmark test to later see just how fast we can cut wood with the MKII using the multi pass. I think you will be surprised just how fast you can go using that tool. It must be pretty fast because the rapids are right on at 400 and its on for the travels! :)
    Mark

9. Littlepip

Littlepip New Member

Thanks for the motor mounts. As I use a non Phlatprinter CNC I thought I would be clever and add half an inch to the size of the board,copy and past to add a few extra mounts to the sheet to save wasting the space on the board.

After I did this I could not work out why I could not get the inside cut tool to work on the holes it just selects the outer edge of the mount. I can't find out how to un group the parts or select the holes so I can add the inside cut tool to the coppied motor mounts. I have tried until I am blue in the face but it is beating me. I must be a bit stupid because I can't get to grips with this at all.

Why do you have to group items to cut them out. I saw this in a video but it did not explane why. I have tried to reverse the face on the holes but that does not work I am totally lost again :oops:

Thanks Gary

10. kram242

Hello Gary,
    Don't give up :) You should be able to right click and explode the groups and then you can work with the parts themselves.
    As for the reason of grouping the parts, it is/was for assigning cut orders during the code process. We the release of the latest version of the PhlatscripT you no longer need to group parts unless you want them to cut in a particular order
    Mark

11. Littlepip

Littlepip New Member

Hi Mark I tried that and it did not work. I shall enclose the file to see what I am doing wrong.
    It is the one you made with a few extra coppied mounts. Do you leave an large gap because you machine has rollers and needs an area to grab the part to pul into the machine? That is all I can think of for the large area of waste. I am probably wrong but that was my only idea :D

I tried to select a mount ungroupe it but that did nothing and I could not get any of the holed to take the inside cut tool or even select by clicking. If I draw in a new job one circle inside another to act as a hole your inside and outside tool works great and as expected. but on this file I get nothing. I wondered if it is protected in any way ? My sketchup skills are very small still so I would not know how to check for things like this. but as I said the script works fine on other parts so it is installed OK.

Gary Attached files MotorMoun Gary.skp (1.5 MB)Â

12. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey Gary,
    I looked at your file. The reason the inside cut tool will not work on the parts is because the holes do not have faces.
    The easiest way to fix this would be to use the Phlatten tool.
    Highlight all the parts your having problems with, right click, go to where is says phlat edge and select phlatten selected edges. This will not only gets parts down to the zero axis but will also create new faces on the holes that don't have faces.
    After this you should be able to apply your cut tools without a problem.

13. Littlepip

Littlepip New Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the help it worked! :D One small thing, I am sure I read that the new script reversed the faces to show a hole when the inside cut tool was used. Did I dream this up? it did the inside cut perfectly but I had to manually reverse the faces. Do I have to do this or is it just cosmetic to show holes. This software is so easy to use compared to any other cam software I have tried, you have a winner here. I will have to work throught SU vids to help with the basics of drawing parts or makeing the fit my machine which has a cut size of 1x .5M just smaller that your phlatprinter, I could not get the fan fold any way over here in the UK.

Thank you again

Gary

14. kram242

That's right, its actually adds a transparent material to make it seem like there is a hole there. Glad to see you are up and running :)
    Mark

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, can you post a picture of what that transparent hole should look like? I get this.

OK, I see what yours looks like in the motor mount drawing. I guess I have a problem. :? Attached files [​IMG]

16. kram242

Kwok, you have to be in the right shader mode(Shaded with textures)
    Have a look @ these pics
    Hope this helps
    Mark Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, thanks for posting that. Something is mess up here, check this out. :shock: I copied one of your motor mounts over. Now that I know something is wrong, I should be able to check out a few things and figure out something. -Kwok

Attached files [​IMG]

18. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Going to try this tomorrow, does it require the chipper bit to be successful with this ?

19. kram242

Kwok, I was reading in the other post where you are having this problem and it seems to be something to do with 7.1 I am going to install the latest version today and try it out with the new PhlatscripT to see if I get the same problem. I have been running 6, 7 on my systems
    I will let you know what I find.

Peter, I was using the 1/16 chipper for this, but if you do not have that bit and are using, say the 1/16th bit from LOWES. You may be able to get away with it using a lower step ratio. Maybe something like .005?
    Mark

20. MartinT

MartinT Member

As always: many many thanks for the endless possibilities and joy!
    Martin

. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. kram242

Martin well done! These look great. I know the feeling. I love the fact that I can make an entire plane now including all the motor mounts and control horns!
    This is too cool
    Mark