1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Mud Duckling?

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by Crash, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

If any of you have been following my podcast, then you no doubt have heard me talk about my scratch-built, smaller scale, version of the Mud Duck.

Normally, if I want to fly a larger aircraft, I step up to gas or glow powerplants, but I decided to take on the project as electric all the way. The wingspan should be around 60" and the weight right now (sans covering) is 2 lbs 14 oz. I am expecting the final AUW to be about 3.5 pounds. This will be my largest electric model to date! This is going to be my big "see what I can do with a PhlatPrinter" show and tell project at SEFF this year. :D

Here is a quick shot of where I am now (ready for final sanding and then I'll start wrapping her in Oracal yellow vinyl)... Attached files [​IMG]

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

COOL... I've always liked the Ducks.....

60" large? Naaa... :-D My largest electrics to 12date are both 8 foot. My 8' C123 is 98% foam, and even with 2 motors, and 2, 3 cell 4200mah packs, it's still under 10#s.

Actually 60" is a nice size. My 8 footers don't get out too much. Even with a trailer, they are just too darned big to lug around.

3. cmelton11

cmelton11 New Member

Cool did you do all the cutting on the phlatprinter. If so what plans did you use I have always liked the Mud duckling and may want to join the duck club LOL.

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Man that plane is screaming for a high mounted motor and a camera where the motor is suppose to go for some fpv.

5. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

I've admired mud ducks for a long time! Always a head turner at the field, and I'm sure this one is going to be awesome!

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice looking build Mike! It looks huge too, got any pics with something we can use for comparison?
    BTW Is this one going to have the LED strips for night flights at SEFF? " :good:
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

7. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Rcav8r, you're right. This is not at all a large plane. Most of the planes I used to fly were at least 2 meter. Anything less than that is certainly considered small. LoL It's just the largest electric I've ever built.

Cmelton11, no plans were available, so everything is proportioned and designed almost soley from pictures on the web. I can normally bang out a project in only an hour, or two, but I must say, I've got about 20 hours design time in this one!

Shaun, from what I've read on this plane, it flies a bit "funky" so I don't know if it would make for a comfortable FPV platform. Time will tell, though. :)

The plane actually came in at 61" after measurement, too. I have run into a bit of a snag, though. You see, in order to bury the control rods all inside the fuse, I had to make the decision where to locate the servos and I elected to put them right at the CG point. After all is said and done, it looks like I am going to be too nose heavy (Arrrgggh!). Also, by covering the whole plane in Oracal (which works out pretty good, btw) I ended up adding about 6 ounces of weight that I wasn't planning for. The motor I have mounted is a 3542-10 from HeadsUpRC and on 3s, it is good for about 54 ounces of thrust, which is about 10 ounces less than the plane's AUW. If I go 4s, then I can eek out about 73 ounces of thrust, but I have no 2S or 4S packs (another Arrrggh!!). It may fly nicely on less than 1:1 thrust/weight ratio, but I am afraid that I am pushing things.

All I need to do is slap a windshield decal on it, fashion some tail support rods, cut out some control horns, and hook everything up and she'll be all ready to go. I am planning to take her to SEFF with me next week and give it a try on two 3S2200 packs wired in parallel. If it doesn't feel right, I'll land it and bring it home to install something with a little more oomph (power 46, maybe?).

I am very pleased with how it turned out, all things considered. I think this little gem speaks volumes for what a fellow can do with tons of internet research, a bundle of FFF, and his trusty PhlatPrinterIII. :D If I were to do it over again (and I might), I would cover the thing in a low-temp iron-on covering to save weight. Also, I would locate the servos to the tail to optimize CG.

I am planning to take some nice pictures before I leave out on my 900 mile journey to Georgia and I'll post them then. Mark, I'll put the Tx in the pic for perspective.

EDIT: Oh wait, I do have one photo that I took. It's more "done" now than it is in this pic. And for some perspective, those wheels are 4" diameter! Attached files [​IMG]

8. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Are you seriously worried about the motor not being strong enough on 3s? With that under-camber wing? It will not go vertical but I don't think it was designed as a 3d plane. :D

If you didn't say the wheels were 4" I would have sought they are 2". Can't trust your eyes anymore! :oops:

9. GorillaBob

GorillaBob New Member

The Oracal may be heavy but it sure looks nice!