1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

My PP

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by Watt_the?, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Yesterday it arrived, unfortunately just three boxes but after a day of work this is the stage of the build ... and I have to stop because of the rollers.
    Anyway, Mark and Trish did a fantastic job with this. Everything you need for the construction, down to the wrenches and screwdriver is included. This actually you can see that is MADE IN USA and the support is great to. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow! That was a quick build! :doubleup:
    We are doing everything we can to get the rest out to you as fast as we can, we know the excitement you are feeling and every second counts. Know that as soon as the material arrives to us it will be packed and shipped right to you guys and thank you for your understanding a patience.
    Once again wow great job! :good:
    Mark and Trish

3. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

When you have everything like that directly from the package and a very easy to follow DVD... this is the result. Even if you have a day job you can do it in just one weekend.
    Anyway, great job from your part guyz to keep the quality high and the price low.

4. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

This PP is... actually I let you guyz be the judges... The machine is up and running for couple weeks now.
    The waiting time was well worth it, and when I start my own business I hope to be as much as possible ( professional and friendly ) like Mark and Trish. :good:
    Again, for the price and the capabilities of this machine, this is unbeatable. :doubleup:

The model is a Roland CII, WS 32", motor 350, ESC 30A, 8X4 prop, and a 2200 mAh 2s1p, 3 channels and is waiting for first flight... but the weather is not cooperating for now. Everithing is made from FFF except wheel "struts". The inspiration for this was the show Mark and Trish had when they cut and build their foam planes. I liked the idea so I designed my version of Roland CII. I got many more projects in the making but this is more complete.

Take care. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I forgot to mention that the model is just an exercise (until the parts for other projects arrive), and many more details will be aded in the future, some plastic parts, like the spinner, and a nicer finish on it. Maybe I'll ad the 4-th channel and the "bird" will have ailerons.

6. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Boy that looks really slick. A lot of detail already, and it's just foam.

No dihedral and no ailerons will make for a plane that is VERY hard to turn.

7. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I'm glad you like it.
    Now I'm even more anxious to fly it an see how it behave.

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice work! :doubleup:

I agree though, no dihedral or ailerons will make it not want to turn right.

9. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thank you.
    I hope to be able to compensate with the rudder. Anyway this model had dead center motor, no angles for compensation, and hope the rudder is big enough.
    Depending on the results I may have to change some of the design.

10. rcav8r

I'm afraid it's not the size of the rudder that will make it want to turn, or not; but the dihedral is what makes it turn when giving rudder. Rudder will yaw it. You might get a very subtle turn out of it, but getting out of that turn will be just as subtle. ;-) I've also seen large rudders snap a plane over in a blink depending on how short coupled it is.

A few quick stories... Quite a few years ago a newbie shows up at the field with a plane that he got from one of the "expert builders" in the club. They wanted me to fly it. It was a shoulder wing, no dihedral, and no ailerons. I respectfully declined to fly it and stated it wouldn't turn. The "expert" proclaimed it would turn just fine, etc, etc. Well they talked the newbie into letting the club's chief crasher...errr I mean instructor fly the plane. Sure enough it took off, and yawed like crazy, right before it flew off into the distance, crooked. Of course the Instructor never though about chopping the throttle or anything sensible like that. After they brought back all the pieces they told me something like.... Well you never crash other peoples planes because you always go over them first.....like that is a bad thing :roll:

A few years before that I bought an engine off of a guy, and he gave me a plane for free. What a deal. It had a flat wing, and no ailerons. I was just past the learning phase at the time, so I had my instructor (not the official club instructor, this guy was good) stand with me. I started the first turn, it yawed, and started a VERY slight turn. My instructor said "You better get it headed back to the field lad" (he was Scottish). I showed him that I already had FULL rudder in it. I eventually got the plane back on the runway (luckily we have 2 LARGE runways) as all I did was make a HUGE gentle circle of the field as it took the other 1/2 of the flight to get the wings back level. I only flew that plane once.

Actually I have a quite few planes that only yaw when given rudder and are a blast to fly; but they have ailerons ;-)

11. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I hear you, but is to late to do anything now.
    In this case the real plane has no dihedral and the wing is just a curved sheet of FFF so no space to hide the servos for ailerons. If the flight will be a mess then I have to think of a way of adding ailerons. ( Actually, after our cheat I already started to think to a way to ad a servo and links for future ailerons )

12. rcav8r

Well no matter what, it;s a GREAT looking plane. Maybe the airplane gods will be on your side for the maiden. :)

13. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I sure hope airplane gods are on my side and let it fly with out ailerons, otherwise I will have a tough road in front of me :fugly: (design-wise).
    Anyway I'll keep you posted.

14. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

It is a beautiful plane, especially as a proof-of-concept prototype. Got any photos of your build process you can share?

15. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I will post some pictures from the process after the first flight. I want to make sure it is a viable concept first but thank you for your interest. What can I say, having a PP it helps a lot.

Attached files [​IMG]

16. rcav8r

I would be really interested in the skinning process... that is how to make a complex skin that FITS so cleanly like yours appear to.
    THANKS
    Dave

17. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I'll make a video series with all the steps from the very beginning.
    The only problem is to find a mac program for screen video capture to show how I build the model in SK, if not I'll make the videos after I get the parts cut with the PP.
    One thing I can say now is that every model despite if the shape is similar have different approaches in cutting the skin and the frame.

18. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

To much wind... so I'll build an other one with ailerons and use a 3s1p battery.
    Is nothing wrong with this one but I want more control. I could fly it if it had ailerons and 3s1p.
    I should have an other one by tomorrow. Complete with the foam cut it take me 3hr from start to finish.
    Also I'll change the motor, exhaust, guns, oil coolers and spinner from foam to plastic. I'm still debating if is better to have the wings cut with hot wire CNC...
    We'll see, in the same time enjoy...

19. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

LoL From a fellow Texan, you should probably shelf that plane until about July when the winds calm down a bit! :D

20. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I think you are right, but I have to fly this one before I can get to the next project and I have so many. Since I got this PP every plane is in reach.

21. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Sweet negative take-off!

22. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Actually you are right. I never thought a model can fly backwards and survive. I think I was lucky or actually it was luck.

23. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That was cool Igor! It looked like it just started to hover right from the ground! :D
    Mark and Trish

24. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

It did sort of hover, and today is even more wind...
    Oh well, time for an other one...

25. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

First 3D cuts with PP...
    The second Roland CII. I did not paid to much attention to details but the next one will be top notch.
    Enjoy...