1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

My take on the Twin Cargo....

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by rcav8r, Jun 22, 2012.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there is anyone in the R/C world who doesn't know about the TwinCargo... Well that's what I though until I took the plane out to the field for it's maiden last night.... No one ever heard of it.... Oh well my club does tend to live in a bubble :D

Anywho, here is my take on the TwinCargo. I will post files once I work out some of the kinks. I made notes of the changes needed during this build. In addition to the obvious speed brakes, I added some internal changes; added a former right behind the bomb door so the payload doesn't go to the very tail on take off, modified the radio shelf, and modified the battery area. I also made the stab part of the top piece so it goes on real easy with no alignment issues.

I decided to add air-brakes. I'm thinking these aren't necessary, but more testing is needed before I determine that. (more in the flight report)

First, first flight was in rather windy conditions (9-17 MPH according to the weather from Greater Pitt Airport which is about 7 miles from the field) It handled the wind no problem, but I had a MAJOR incidence issue. Needed about 1/2 up to maintain level flight. After about 2 circuits of the field I landed and added ~1/8" under the LE of the wing. Flew better but could use a little more under the LE. Still a bit gusty so after a few more circuits I landed and waited for calmer winds.

Later in the evening someone found the switch for the fan, and the winds just went away... not a breath of a breeze...
    Second first flight went MUCH better. Still had an incidence issue as I didn't add another shim, but with no wind it was VERY easy to steer on the ground. I'm mixing throttles with rudder. In the air she behaved great. My rudder/throttle mix is on a switch. I switched it off, and the rudder was not really effective. But with the mix on, I could do flat turns that almost turned on the wing tip. I even did a touch and go while in a flat turn... almost looked like a control line with short lines. Slips were a thing of beauty.

Speed brakes.. I have then set up so when I flip the switch, the brake is applied and the ailerons go up about 50%. I also have the speed brakes on a slider so I can adjust the amount of throw. I noticed no real difference between about 25% throw and 100% throw (90 degrees to the wing)
    I tried a few steep approaches with and without the speed breaks. It certainly slowed down with the speed brakes, but not as much as I would have though. I was able to slow it down just as well by slipping it in. If the speed brakes were applied in level flight it kind started to just fall straight down using throttle to control the decent... Kinda hard to explain, but I had to inch the nose down or it would start to fall like a brick, but flat as a pancake. Once that started more throttle kinda hurried the process... Glad I started the first one high.

So the jury is still out on the speed brakes. It takes 2 more servos, and I need all 9 channels on my radio with them. Also I think it is weakening the wing as when I apply throttle I can see the LE flex down which may be contributing to my incidence issue.

Here's some pics of my MKI version. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Awesome write up Dave and a GREAT looking plane. Thank you for posting this! :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

3. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    I like the boxy look and the paint scheme. :doubleup:

Great job. :cool:

GHB :D

4. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Nice twin cargo !! Whats the wing span , it looks big...Great job building... :D

5. rcav8r

Thanks BF... I forget the exact span...maybe 56".

Someone on RCG wanted a video of the bits moving around, so here it is. Hope to get some flying video today if I can find someone who can shoot the plane and not sky, ground, the fence , etc :)

6. kram242

Wow Dave that thing looks like a robot! :twitch: Nice job!
    p.s. The board will not accept the youtube short codes so I added the long link (address bar link) so that it would show up.

7. rcav8r

Finally got some video of the air brakes in action..... No wind at all, so there is some forward movement. Kinda a hard to tell, but the descent starts around 150-200 foot.....

8. kram242

Cool video Dave love the music to :)
    Its amazing to see the drag effect. Its seems that you are falling almost straight down(may just be the video?). To me when you had landed you can really see how quickly it slows down with the ab engaged.
    Cool stuff Dave thank you
    Mark and Trish

9. rcav8r

Na..there's a fair amount of forward speed in those steep descents.... Yesterday there was about a 10-15 MPH wind, and I had some straight down landings with no forward speed....some even were even backwards...well it seemed that way anyway. My buddy shot more video, but I haven't seen it yet. Hope to import/edit/post tonight or tomorrow.

BTW, music is Baby Elephant Walk by one of my favorite composers... Henry Mancini. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Mancini) He was from where I live and my buddy's grandfather was his music teacher. Actually my buddy's family was good friends with him. Of course I didn't find this out until after he died.

10. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Nice little flyer :doubleup: That would be a great touch & go fun flyer. It seems to drop the blue tip, is the lateral balance spot on? Wonder if it can carry a pound of candy :questions: I know what you mean about club members living in a bubble. Most of my club thinks the rudder is that thing that needs to be attached to the nose wheel as a tradition more than a functional flight control surface.

11. rcav8r

THANKS tbird....it's a great T&G machine. Reminds me of my old modified Kadet Sr I had YEARS ago. I haven't hooked the bomb door up yet, and so far don't miss it. That wing dips because that's the side I favor when slipping in. Not sure why, it's just the lucky side no matter what direction I approach form. I haven worn out many a left wheel over the years. :)

About club members living in a bubble.. I meant them having a clue that the internet exists, let alone you can get all sorts of cool plans there :D But as far as using the rudder, or lack there of... Yep we got plenty of those. A favorite trick of ours was to take my buddies Kadet Sr that had small strip ailerons up, slow it way down and offer the xmitter to one of the club member. They would thrash the right stick around feverishly as the plane putted along nice as could be. They would yell that they ain't got it, and give us the box.... We would then do a nice figure 8 using the rudder showing them all was well. Then pass the box to them and repeat the cycle... They never caught on..... Never thought to use the rudder, dip the nose, or power up. Oh yea we say 80% of the guys could hook their throttle to the retract switch and no one would ever know......

Anywho without further delay, here is an updated video showing the Twin Cargo landing in some wind. It was blowing enough to ground the above said club members, but the Twin Cargo loved it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTV_6SjEsgg