1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Natural Science Project ?.

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Tweakie, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Here is an interesting natural science experiment / project for children and others, like me, who never grow-up.

For Millennia the basic building block for nature has been observed and extremely well documented but only in relatively recent times (since the introduction of our Hindu-Arabic numbering system) could it be expressed so easily in mathematical terms.

The ratio 1 : (1 + √5) / 2 is all around us and because it occurs naturally we perceive it as being ‘pleasing to the eye’ so to this end we have duplicated it in our architecture, art and just about everything else. We call it the Golden Mean.

It should perhaps be emphasized that this ratio it is not a law, carved in stone, because there will always be exceptions it is merely a trend but, in nature, it occurs more often than not.

The infinite pair of numbers in the Fibonacci series 1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89… are again in exactly the same ratio and if we look closely at our plants, fruits, trees etc. these numbers and the ratio are there.

Getting back to the experiment / project, the attached .dxf can be used to make a set of callipers whose points follow this ratio so that we can measure the things around us, learn from the experience and perhaps even inspire others.

These callipers were laser cut from Polycarbonate (not the best material to use for laser cutting but the material was the right size and it was to hand).

Tweakie. Attached files [​IMG] calliper.zip (2.5 KB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool Tweakie thanks for sharing this.
    I did a quick little research on this pretty interesting stuff indeed :)
    Mark and Trish

3. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Hi Mark,

It is worth checking out Pineapples – when viewed from the base, most have 5 shallow spirals in a clockwise direction, 8 steep spirals anti-clockwise and 13 steep spirals clockwise.

I have not seen one yet but I understand that some can have 8, 13 and 21 spirals.

(all Fibonacci numbers).

Tweakie.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Looking through some interesting videos on the subject. I could see this easily becoming a self induced obsession if one is not careful! :spiteful:
    Very cool
    Mark and Trish

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Tweakie, thanks for the HeadsUp. :banger: Didn't know about this Fibonacci guy until you've mentioned it. I can't believe it's all around us and I never made the connection. :oops: