1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Nifty Fiftys VTO

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by Evil-Tunes, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

This morningI was looking Through the forum thinking about the Jelly Fish Kram put up viewtopic.php?f=37&t=251
    Then I came across 7up's Matrix VTO "wow what a cool looking plane"
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=276
    Went to get breakfast at Nifty Fifty's http://www.niftyfiftys.com
    After looking at the back of menu I saw a Space Ship It reminded me of Buggs and Marvin the Martian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfDIQqn5RI4 and said to myself That would be a cool VTO.
    I did a little doddle on a napkin and half a day on Sketch up I got this
    I still have some work to do on the sketchup files As I want to change some things like the size of the elevons and fins .

Will post the compleated SU files soon.

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I love it ET! Those nice curves give it a real sleek look. Nice napkin work too... Some of the greatest songs in the world were written on brown paper bags... :mrgreen:

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool! man I love it!
    I hope that it flies as cool as it looks
    Thanks for posting Glen

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Cool man!
    Makes me think of when the R/C sidewinder missle was made.

5. Evil-Tunes

This is my first Full Fuse build in SU. Well first one I finished "still working on the bird dog".
    Last night I decided to make some changes to the fuse and split it in half. Cut it out and did not like the results. I needed about 4 more hands to get the fuse together. So ok lets split into quaters and instead of a slip in design I will tabb the whole length. No problem tabbed the fuse w/o any problems. Then on to the fins well... ROUND and TAPERED fuse flat fins my brain was starting to hurt at 1:00 in the morning.I couldn't get the holes to line up with the tabs. :evil: Went to bed thinking about it and It hit me like a ton of bricks. :shock: There is a projector in SU DUH 90 deg. :lol:

I still have to cut it out and give it a try tomarow night as it's to late to fire up the PP. Next mod to the PP is going to have to be Meistertek's Cone of Silence http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=259

I'm going to release the SU as I feel good about how it will go together now. In the file I left the orginal slip fuse and some of the work up stuff. I didn't add a rudder Because I cant fly 3-D yet. I just want the VTO to start off with. Now it's on to building it and getting the C of G correct. I have one question mabey someone can answer or give a suggstion on? [edit]Should I install the motor for the test glides?

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] 50s vto v6.4.skp (1.4 MB)Â [​IMG]

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

E-T, with the motor off (you have the prop installed, right?). With the motor at high rpm it will be a test flight and not test glide and with the motor at low rpm the prop is like a disk and will act as a break.

Also, put a gyro on the aileron channel or make sure that you have the CG set low or the thing will not know where up and down is and will turn to where the CG is low.

Yoram

7. Evil-Tunes

I said that wrong! How about should I install the motor on the plane to find the C of G.

E-T

8. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I'd suggest a glide test with nothing but some weight (if needed) to find the CG. Once a smooth glide and soft landing are obtained add your gear and balance at determined CG.

Good luck!

9. Evil-Tunes

Thanks 7up

That was the answer that I was looking for but wasn't sure with it being a pusher. I will prob. add the weight to the bottom fin to keep the bottom fin pointed down or keep the CG low? I think that is what TigerPilot was trying to say?

E-T

10. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I meant.

Yoram

11. Evil-Tunes

I am sorry to say that I'm thinking of pulling the plans for this build untill I can test some things out! I have cut this out five or more time and I think the tolarances are to tight or something. I also want to test the gcode on other plans. I have been getting some funky stuff happing with this build. Cuts all over the place and not cuts where they should be. I'm getting very frustrated and have to take a break from it.

[edit] ok I have found one prob that I was having. The parameters box would not let me change The bit Size to 1/16" some times it's Fractional and sometimes decimal. Even thou I typed in 1/16" it would not change bit size to .0625 till I typed in as decimal.

Cheers
    E-T

12. Evil-Tunes

Decided to give this a try again this morning. Made sure bit size was .0625 and generated the Gcode. Started cutting and I went up stairs when I come back my computer must have auto updated and restarted. WTF So I started to cut it again and my y axis came off the stepper. I am starting to think that this plane is cursed. Ok one last time I will try to cut out. Yea " Jumping up and down" It cut it out fine this time. On to the build and It went together perfect just like a good plan should. :lol: I did a few test glides and the C of G is good where It is. 5" from LE of Wing Unconfermed. Now on to the next step I don't think I'm going to put the Electronics in side the fuse yet to keep the CofG low and ease of movement.

Cheers

E-T Attached files [​IMG]

13. kram242

Glad to hear you got it cut out :)
    I was looking at the design and it looks like where the motor is mounted there is a foam disc did you glue a wood disc on top of that to mount the motor too?
    Mark

14. Evil-Tunes

YEP YEP That is how I make up most of my motor mounts.

E-T

15. kram242

Ok just checking thanks for the info I never tried it that way and wondered if it would be strong enough
    Mark