1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Nose Mounting Dremel?

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by meistertek, Jan 1, 2009.

1. meistertek

meistertek Member

Has anyone tried a mod where the dremel is mounted in its nose thread? The nose thread is 3/4"-12 and is exposed by spinning off the back plastic collar just below the collet chuck. Maybe mark has tried this and found it not to be strong enough?

2. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

Meistek,

I have done this.

I have been working up a part that will be universal.

Grabbing the spindle buy it's collar really brings up the tolerance.

Should have some pictures by the weekend.

Eric

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I have thought about it and might do it in a future mod. There are clearance issues, for example if the mount will hit the top of the PP. Also, clearance with the Y-axis top. For some reason it is slight higher than the z-axis surface. The y-axis, bottom on the other hand, is perfectly level with the z. I found some thin steel brackets at home depot, but at the time nothing to enlarge the hole to 3/4". But I just got a set of step drills, the ones that look like a cone that dill multiple sizes all-in-one. Another benefit is the elimination of two heavy u bolts, which I would replace with a cable tie. I agree it would be alot easier to get the bit perpendicular and stay that way, with the mount much closer to the cutting force.

-Kwok

4. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

I am not sure I am on board with what you are saying about the Y and Z clearance from one another, could you elaborate on the subject?

As far as the issue with the clearance of the dremel, I would have to say that if your dremel is coming up so far that the collar nut/ nose threads are or would be hitting the bottom of the table top then it's time you re-adjust your spindle height.

On the subject of the U bolts, the weight of them will not affect the speed of your Z movement in the slightest and that you are more than likely going to find the zip ties are going to leave a lot of play in the spindle. You may be ok cutting foam along with this but I have a hunch you won’t be sticking with it for too long.

My .02 ;)

Eric

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hay Eric,

I meant add a nose mount and then also cable tie the dremel body. :lol:

Regarding the Y clearance. If you bolt the mount directly to the z-axis top, it will hit Y-axis top. Just check it with a straight edge. It sticks out about 1/16". No doubt it's easily fixed, but need to be addressed. I drew a 3d model of my PP, so at the time I looked at it closely. And finally decided not to do it. But I am limited to what I can do with off the self parts and a few junky tools.

-Kwok

6. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

Gotcha ;)

Yea your saying if the part was made to mount to the top of the Z Tool holder it would hit or at least limit the Z travel? If so, then you are most certainly correct.

The part I have designed takes this into consideration and this won’t be an issue.

Eric

7. meistertek

meistertek Member

I am working on modeling the entire PhlatPrinter in 3D and will model a gantry to hold the dremel by the threaded nose and the small circular diameter just above the cord strain relief. This way the dremel is held by areas that are the farthest apart and are designed to take pressure.

I have been also considering using a Proxxon 12-Volt Micromot Rotary Tool instead of a dremel since they are a lot quieter. Although most of the noise from the PhlatPrinter seems to emanate from dremel vibrations transferring through the gantry and then to the bushings buzzing on the Y axis rods. I am actually amazed at how quiet the stock set up is, but I would like to improve it.

I live in apartment and the neighbors are going to start wondering what is going on with the dremel running for hours at a time. They are probably thinking why are they vacuuming so much?

It was helpful to hear everyone's ideas on this, thanks.

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

A few people have said they use the low speed setting on the dremel and it cuts fine. That should be alot quieter. Also, I have been wondering if a brushless airplane motor would work? I would think a brushless motor would be quiet and light also.

-Kwok

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hey Kwok,
    I have seen this done before with a brushless motor for the spindle. I tried it myself for the PP but let it go as it would have been costly.
    One thing I was able to do was to attach a 1/8th bit to the end of my brushless park 400 outrunner and realized that you would have to use a pulley/gear reduction to allow for enough power to cut through any type of wood.

This may help you get started on this

Straight Shank Chuck http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=001 Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark,

I saw a picture of something similar. Will have to try and locate it again. That looks expensive. How much money you figured is invested there? I am more inclined to think cheap and simple, like a small, cheap outrunner. Blue Wonder size maybe. It would in essence be disposable, with possibly the 1/8 bit doing dual service as the motor shaft. I won't care if it only was able to cut foam. Gear reduction? The park 400 outrunner is already low kv. You want to make the rpm lower?

-Kwok

11. kram242

Looks really expensive! but he can also change bits through the code which is what this type of setup is for. Really if you could set up a cheap out runner with a say 6 to 1 gear/belt ratio you could easily accomplish this task for any bit you choose to run with plenty of umph to cut the material you want. You would have to change the bit manually if you wanted a tool change. You are right a direct drive should work fine for foam and it would only be a matter of experimenting to figure out the rms it would take to make it happen. One nice feature is you should be able to control the spindle speed with no problem through mach3 according to the output gcode wants We already have the controler cards(ESC) :) and the motors.

12. kram242

Ok I found out that this little hex pod robot also uses a brushless motor with a super simple lock screw collar for its chuck.
    Heres a pic, looks cool.

You can watch the video of this cool little robot here milling a 3D face here:
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=237&start=0
    Thanks for posting Eric
    Mark Attached files [​IMG]

13. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

wow!! slap on a servo tester and ya would be all set.....man i got the junk layin around here too. got a big old nasty hacker C-50 with a gear drive...hmmmm it put out 2100watts if i remember correctly...would be quiet also. i will just do the dremel thing first and see how it goes... randy.

14. kram242

On of the cool things would be that you could control the speed to any setting you wanted:)

15. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I run mine on the low setting most of the time. with the Phlat-tables on covering the holes it's not that loud. tape one more peice of fff across the back hole would help also.

E-T

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I picked up this cheapy rotary tool. Think it was on sale for $6. It's got the 1/8" collet assembly, on top, that could be salvaged. It's pressed onto the shaft of a 12V brushed motor, so not the easiest to deal with.

Attached files [​IMG]

17. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

$6 hmmm. What are the rpms? Where did you get it? We have seen it at Harbour Freight but not sure of the price there.

Thanks

18. kram242

Evil-Tunes, is right about the sound, mine with the tables down is pretty quiet as well. I am sure you could line the whole inside of the cabinet with foam (bottom too) and it would cut down the noise by a lot. Just using spray adhesive to attach the foam to the inside of the cabinet.
    Mark

19. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

16,250 rpm. Yea, got it from Harbor Freight, a while back. It's listed @ $10 on the website. This is it here:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94076

If people are interested, even at regular price, they have good deals on those pistol handle style clamps. Always useful for building the PP. Last time, they had the smallest ones (4"), on sale for $1 each. So I stocked up on a few more.

-Kwok

20. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

16,250 rfp is pretty good. Harbor Freight is one of Mark's favorite stores. They have unbelievable prices. Their items might not be the highest quality but they price them right.

21. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

It cuts foam fine, but it's not a tool that I expect to last very long. Who know if that's really the rpm. The rpm actually drops, like 50%, if I turn it upside down. :shock: Harbor Freight is one of my favorite stores, also. An ok tool is better than, no tool. That said, I was very impressed with the $50 drill press and $15 set of drills, I bought from them. Haven't had that feeling of precision and a tool that actually cuts instead of being forced through a piece of wood, in a long time.

-Kwok

22. kram242

I know just waht you are saying :)
    Mark

23. meistertek

meistertek Member

These Proxon 12VDC rotary tools sound very much like the setup of a brushless motor and spindle:

http://www.proxxon.com/

The best one to me seems to be a MICROMOT 50/E, I've read a few reviews on it and everybody says it is really quiet...until you start cutting stuff:lol:

The interesting feature to me is the claim of hight torque at low rpms. Maybe the rotary pot on this could be wired into the stepper control and the spindle RPM could be adjusted via Mach 3? Maybe it would even be possible to shut the tool off during rapids between cuts? The tool requires a 12VDC power supply with at least 1A current capability.

Has anyone wired a dremel to the stepper control and mach3 to adjust spindle speed on a dremel? Attached files [​IMG]

24. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I never seen one of those Proxon run before. But it only goes up to 20k rpm, so all things being equal, it better be quieter. Turning the dremel to low doesn't solve your noise problem? Or coveing up the openings?

Don't know about controlling the rpm with Mach3. But I do have (not used it yet) the solid state relay (from easy-cnc) that cuts the 115v ac power and is controlled by G Code. My original objective was just to have the dremel automatically turn off after the PP was done. Technically, you could edit the commands into your code to cut power to your demel at anytime during your cut, but I would think it be very confusing to do. For a better idea, I would look at the mod to cut the dremel off automatically when it is retracted. Uses a simple limit switch and relay.
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=123

No, I don't of "anyone who has wired a dremel to the stepper control and mach3 to adjust spindle speed on a dremel".

-Kwok