1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Original PhlatPrinter and USB-CNC settings

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by 7up, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys, I am writing in regards to using the USB-CNC Controller with my original Phlatty. Maybe it will give you some insight on any future problems you may encounter during your build.

I have attached the settings file I am currently using and my printer is running good, but I am open to any suggestions you may have to increase performance.

The only real problems I had was software related and it took me a while to figure out what was happening. I devised a work-around for the following problem...

In Sketchucam, I was generating code as usual for my P1 (under-slung gantry) and when I loaded the file into USB-CNC it put all my parts in the lower left corner cutting from the bottom going up on the Z axis. To trmedy this, I had to generate the code in SUCAM as an overhead gantry. Problem fixed. The other issue was when I start a cut with a part in the lower right hand corner, or within 3-5 inches to the foam front edge, (the 24" edge of the foam, facing me, if I am in front of my printer) then the foam would get pulled in too far and half of the parts missed the foam.? So I figured that if you select "overhead gantry" in SUCAM then I thinks you must be using a P3 and it sets that initial jog up to the spindle to 6" or whatever it should be, whereas, the initial jog on my P1 is only 3" if I start my foam from the start line. I compensate by lining the foam up with the front edge of my printer.

To summarize, I am generating code using the "overhead gantry" option and aligning my sheet of foam to the very front edge of my printer instead of the pre-routed "start line".

The settings file is a variation of your P3 file that I tweaked for my P1. I am using the Easy-CNC driver board along with the MK2 USB-CNC board and an Original PhlatPrinter.

Backup your current settings file and replace it with this one.

:doubleup:

I hope this info saves you some headaches. Attached files CNCUSBController.setting (33.3 KB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Buk, this is great! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this information! :doubleup:
    You rock bro :banger:
    Mark and Trish

3. 7up

If any of you guys have your Original Phlatprinter running good on the USB-CNC and the EZ-CNC boards, please post your settings file here. Mine runs good but could use a little more speed.

4. 7up

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:doubleup:
    Thanks Buk, good one
    Mark and Trish

6. matt_o_70

matt_o_70 Member

It might also be important to specify the 1) step size setting on driver board, 2) the type of drive on the axis and 3) stepper motor torque? I can see where the typical newbie could pick a settings file and not understand that these factors also come into play.

I am using Probotix driver boards, Which documentation said required the "invert Pulse option to be checked". I also checked the reverse Z axis due to my wiring of the Z axis stepper. So this will depend on your wiring. My steppers are rated @ 130 oz-in.

For example I built a mostly stock PP and used the standard 1/4 -20 threaded rod and had my stepper driver board set for 1/2 steps. Built in this way I was consistently cutting at 20-25 IPM.

I have just recently converted my Y axis to belt drive and have changed my driver board step size to 1/8 step regain some of the resolution lost to the belt drive. So far I have started at 60 IPM and have had no problems yet. My X and Z axis are set for 1/2 steps, and the Y is set for 1/8 step. Belt mod on Y axis with drive pulley pitch diameter of 0.955. I have not yet tried to go faster while cutting but it will easily move the gantry now at 150+.

I lowered my initial speed and acceleration values to try to improve starting torque, but I have no idea if this was necessary.

Buk - I am curious about your issue generating gcode? I have been using the standard underslung gantry option without issues? Was your issue that the z axis was moving in the opposite direction? Attached files PP BeltModY at eighth steps @ 60IPM.setting (34.8 KB)Â PP Settings @20 IPM.setting (35.7 KB)Â [​IMG]

7. 7up

No, the cut direction was going the wrong way. I have corrected that and am now generating code for an under-slung gantry. Glad you brought that up, I had forgotten about that.