1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Outside Cut

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Robin Mosedale, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Robin Mosedale

Robin Mosedale New Member

My apologies if this is simple oversight, but I'm new.

Below is the outline for a loco frame. It's not finished at all yet, but I thought that I'd have a trial run before going too far, and try on ply before committing to metal.

I drew in sketchup, but the machine didn't have the phlat plug in, and realised that when it was loaded onto the machine that did, all the phlatboz parameters were garbled. So closed it all down. Loaded sketchup, loaded the frame drawing, selected all of it, and cut to clipboard. Closed down, reloaded sketchup with plugin, set the Phlat parameters, selected all of the frame outline, and tried to set the outside edge. Refused.

Here is the frame, rather small in relation to the safe area, together with the parameter file.

I'm puzzled, since I've managed to do this in the past.

I suspect that I'll feel silly when someone points this out.

Robin

upload_2014-8-13_15-27-39.png

upload_2014-8-13_15-21-29.png

2. Robin Mosedale

I think there's something wrong with the entity within sketchup, rather than Phlatzboyz

File attached.

Attached Files:

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

1st thing is to click on the blue question mark for the help/instructions section.
    On top of that the first thing I see wrong is your part does not have a face. The tools will not work on the object if it does not have a face.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I checked your drawing and Shaun is right. All you have to do is make the part to have a face. Just use the line tool and go over one of the strait sides and you'll have a face and then you're good.

5. Robin Mosedale

Thank you both for taking the time and trouble to reply. I realized that the object had some been translated into purely a set of lines, but couldn't fathom how to recreate it as a face. In the end it was quicker just to draw it again, and this time perfectly recognised by the plugin, and I've justdone a dry run with plywood before comitting to metal.

I'm utterly delighted not only with the ease with which one can create something in sketchup (it was overlaid on some 1850 drawings of a locomotive scaled), and then get it tomprototype on the Taig mill.

Smashing stuff

6. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

another way to create the face is to select the shape , right click any line, select ''phlat edge' then 'phlatten selected edges'. this will make sure all the lines are flat on the XY plane, and create faces if possible.

another way is to just draw a line from one side to the other , inside the shape you have drawn. sketchup will automatically create faces for closed shapes.