1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Outside cuts cutting wrong way

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by nate1001, Dec 7, 2010.

1. nate1001

nate1001 Member

The problem I'm having is both with sketchup and the phlatscript. On the bottom right of the attached file, the 2 wing struts, the outside cut goes backwards. I had a problem when making these pieces. When I completed them, a surface wouldn't appear. If I drew a line across the middle one half would get a surface. I kept doing this until the last piece finally got a surface. Now, if I delete a line from the side, when I redraw it, still no surface. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Nathan Attached files tensor download.skp (643.3 KB)Â

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I'm not seeing this with the file. Not sure I'm looking at the right part as all the parts that have PhlatScrip have faces. But when I had this problem that I think your describing, it was not all the lines were on the same plane. The right way to do it is to CAREFULLY check each one, and correct accordingly.

But the way I do this is to use Phlatten Selected Edges (Select lines, right click, then PhlatEdges|Phlatten Selected Edges, and/or use the Repair Broken Lines plugin. I think it can also be related to you copying/pasting a part with Phlatcode, and flipping along an axis. I believe Kyyu has a plug in for this.

3. nate1001

nate1001 Member

Right now it has a face and and an outside cut. They are the 2 tall rectangles on the right. The fuse doublers also cut backwards. I have used phlatten and repair broken lines but the problem is still there. Try deleting a line from those pieces and putting it back. They won't get a face when it is completed again.

4. rcav8r

Were the problem pieces copied/pasted/rotated once the phlatlines were applied?

5. nate1001

nate1001 Member

I believe they were copied before I did any phlatscript on them.

6. rcav8r

hummm Hopefully Kyyu will chime in here shortly, or you can look for a plugin he did for something very similar to this and give it a shot. Actually I had the same exact problem, only my parts were copied/pasted/rotated with the phlatlines applied.

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

The problem is the 2 plunge holes ( top & bottom) that are placed directly on the edge. It contacts and breaks the outside phlatedges, for one thing. I tried grouping the plunge, but then they don't show up at all? Grouped plunge cuts do show up when placed in the interior. The only work around, I could find was to back them off a tiny bit from the edge. 0.001" worked for the bottom plunge, but not for the top. I had to back, the top off 0.002" for it to show up.

I didn't have any problems, with the face not showing up. But, Sketchup doesn't like it when you break an outer loop. Try drawing a rectangle and delete the face. Then draw a small line across one of the edges. Then try to make the face, by tracing one of the edges. Sketchup won't make the face.

Here is the modified drawing. I only corrected the one, on the right:

-Kwok Attached files nate1001_tensor download_Outside cuts cutting wrong way_work.zip (151.7 KB)Â

8. nate1001

nate1001 Member

Sorry it took so long to reply. I can't open it because its a newer version. So the solution is to move the plunge, but I had the same problem if I made a 1/32" notch instead of a plunge. I am using the plunge as a mark for locating carbon reinforcements. The fuse doublers have the same problem from the plunges. I added plunges after making the outside cut and on some pieces it cuts fine and others are backwards. I don't understand why.

Also, is there a way to specify the plunge cuts before the outside cuts? It cuts out a piece and then comes back for the plunge, or stops half way through the outside to go plunge and then comes back and finishes outside cut.

Thanks for all the help

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Here is the zip file for SUv7. You might be able to find another solution. I only looked at it briefly. Interior cuts are meant to be in the interior. And having the cuts on the edge and touching the outside cuts, is giving unexpected results. Give what I did a try. It was working for me. I just moved the plunges back 0.001" and 0.002".

I tried grouping to get the plunge to cut 1st and isolate it from the outside cut lines, but it doesn't show up at all? What I did in the zip file, does cuts in the right order and direction.

If you want to cut a slot, it's got to be bigger than the bit diameter. That's because, if not, then once it's offset; there is no longer a slot. If you are using a 1/32 diam bit, then try using a 0.033" slot. I tried that and it shows up.

-Kwok Attached files nate1001_tensor download_Outside cuts cutting wrong way_work_SUv7.zip (151.7 KB)Â

10. nate1001

nate1001 Member

That's probably the best solution then. Cut a slightly larger slot. That way it is all in one pass. Thanks for the help.