1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Outside/Inside Cut options?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Splinter, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Splinter

Splinter New Member

I'm new to the phlatscript options in sketchup, but I've been using sketchup for a couple years now. I'm trying to assign a outside cut option to my design but when I apply the outside cut option when it is sent to G code it does not look right when simulated in a cnc software. While watching some videos on youtube.com for tutorials I noticed that when others would apply the outside or inside cut option it is applied exactly at the edge, where mine will only allow me to apply the inside/outside cut option to the surfaces. any way to fix this issue so it will be allowed to select the edges instead? Hopefully this wasn't too confusing.

-Marty

2. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Hello Marty,

Can you post the file or part of the file that your having problems with to better understand.

Cheers
    E-T

3. Splinter

Splinter New Member

here is a file with a sample of the project and it shows how the top and bottom of the subject has the outside cut on it. my safe cutting area is 12" x 20". my whole project is two 12"x 20" sheets at mulitple height differences. the highest is 3/4". I'd be willing to pay someone to do the prepping for my cnc software if its an issue on my end. Hope this helps shine light on my issue.

Attached files sample.skp (85.2 KB)Â

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I can't load. It's saved in 8. I only run 7

5. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Not sure why you are using the mulitple hight differences. But that would be the problem. If it is the same cut on both peices you can just do one cut and set your matrrial thickness to go through both at one shot. The phlatscript will only work on 2-d surfaces. The other way would be to " the way I have to do it" take the two peices and lay them next to each other and cut them out like this.

Also I saved the file as SU 7. Most people use SU 7 here as it is more stable and you can save as 7 with SU 8 using the pull down menu before you hit save

There are PhlatScripT Video Tutorials HERE

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] sample.skp 7.skp (88 KB)Â

6. Splinter

Splinter New Member

Sorry about it not being in the sketch up 7 file format. Thanks for doing the conversion for me, and well that makes sense then why it's not working. I'm working on a project that has the multiple height differences for each piece. So most likely I will need to use a different program for my 3D pieces then. I have a homemade cnc machine that I'm working with. Any suggestions for a good cnc software where I could redesign my parts? I really appreciate the input. I'll still be using phlatscript but obviously for the 2D projects.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

8. Splinter

Splinter New Member

Ill try out that tonight and let you know if that helps out. I think it should, I really appreciate all the help guys!

9. Splinter

Splinter New Member

So i installed the phlat3D plugin into Sketchup 7 plugins folder and when Im done with my project I click on plugins and then click on Phlat 3D and nothing happens....am I misisng a step?