1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlat Motor Boat

Discussion in 'Ships' started by Grabo, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Grabo

Grabo New Member

Hi Guys
    We dont seem to have many boats so i have put this little boat together its my first design and enjoyed designing it in sketchup the skins 1/8" Depron for the hull will have to be made free hand as i could not get them to flatten properly but should be no problem the whole boat is made of 1/4" depron and hull skins 1/8"with brown paper glued over. the whole boat should be vanished (water based) to seal and painted. i have not shown motor, battery, radio location as i will leave that to the builder. If you find any Mistakes please tell me as i am still learning and would love the feed back. Attached files Phlat Motor Boat.zip (477.6 KB)Â [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice work Grabo.
    I think I might build this one day.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great job Grabo! Thank you for posting this I have wanting to build a boat.
    Mark and Trish

4. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Grabo, my kids will love this :)

John

5. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, I've never built a foam boat but just might give this one a try. I don't have any 1/8-3mm depron but some foam meat trays should substitute nicely.

-Buk

6. Grabo

Grabo New Member

Thanks Guys
    Not really into boats but seemed to enjoy doing this one just seemed to come together fine. the hull could be made of 1/16" Balsa but wanted to see if an all foam boat would work i cut some out for the local school and the kids love assembling them.

7. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

That is so cool! You have inspired me to design a boat as my next design.

8. kram242

YES! :mrgreen:

9. asc

asc New Member

Hi Guys,

I modified the original file a little for my sake. Maybe somebody can find it useful so I decided to upload the model here as well.
    Be aware I changed the units into the milimeters and cut it out of 4 mm plywood.
    There is Speed 500 motor and 6V/4Ah battery inside
    The hull will be made out of 1 mm plastic sheet.

Attached you can find also the phlat cutting plan. But I have a problem here.
    To make inner corners sharps I use to drill a hole in each corner. Everything works fine except the phlatscript generates g-code only for three holes and leave the fourth one. (see the picture attached)

Could you advise?

Standa Attached files [​IMG] Boat_jachta.skp (1 MB)Â Boat_jachta_cnc1a.skp (2.1 MB)Â

10. kram242

Standa, I see what you mean
    You may want to take a closer look at that part of the file. Look close at the edges and see if you find an overlapping line or a line that doesn't belong there, maybe sticking out. This will cause this every time. Take the Phlat tool inside cut and hover over the area that is messing up and zoom in so you can see what it sees.
    Hope this helps.
    Nice job :good:
    Mark and Trish

11. asc

asc New Member

Hi Mark and Trish
    Thanks for your feedback!
    I tried to follow your recommendation , but without success.
    To isolate the problem I made a simply example.
    Could you possibly see the attachement - It is a square with square cut-out inside.

First, I used the Plunge tool only. I placed drill points in each inner corner. G-code did not generate 4 places to drill but only 2. In this simple g-code I even realised that the first position of the hole is wrong.

Then I made test with the Inside cut tool. I used the Inside cut first, then the Plunge tool.
    Result was a little better as the first hole is in the right position, but still only two would be done.

Finaly I reversed the order. If the Plunge tool is used prior the Inside cut the tool path would not follow the profile - it is chamfered at the lower right corner. This is what you can see in .skp file attached. I did not attached g-code as I cannot add more than three files :)

Standa Attached files simple example.cnc (521 B)Â simple example.skp (64.2 KB)Â simple example2.cnc (746 B)Â

12. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

asc, I have sometims problems with the plunge tool too. What I do is I mark all the places I want to plunge and han I group each one in the order I want to drill the holes. Try it, please, and let us now if it worked for you

13. asc

asc New Member

Tigerpilot:
    Hmm, interesting. It works better, but not fully
    1. If I mark the drilling points first then group - it does not work better (except the position of the first hole is correct)
    2. If I place the Plunge mark side of the model then group it and copy into the right places - it does not work either
    3. If I place the Plunge mark side of the model, then rotate it 45 deg , group it and copy into the places - It would generate 3 holes in G-code in right places, but the fourth is still missing...

Standa