1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree

Discussion in '* Contests * Win Cool Stuff!' started by theothers, Nov 25, 2009.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree Contest!
    The idea behind this contest is to create the coolest foam Christmas tree around.

It should be easy to assemble and cut out of 1/4" fan fold foam using an 1/8" bit. Therefore, all parts must fit in the safe cutting area of the standard 22" X 42" with a limit of 10 sheets per entry.

Please post a picture of your fully built and decorated Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree. It's not necessary to actually build the Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree but it would definitely help in the peoples choice award. That's right! This contest will be judged by you guyz! Anyone who visits the Phlatforum between 12/02/09 - 12/8/09 will have the ability to vote on their favorite Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree.

We will cut out and build the Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree with the most votes during our weekly Wednesday night show on 12/9/09. All votes will be tallied as of 8:00 pm EST on Tuesday, 12/8/09. This will allow us to have some time to try to find decorations that were intended to be used on the winning tree.

Make sure to leave room under the tree for presents

ELIGIBILITY: All Phlatboyz and like-minded individuals. You do not have to be a Phlatprinter owner to enter this contest. Just download SketchUp and install the PhlatScripT plug in and go at it.

Rules: The main structure and everything that is basically visible should be made from 1/4" fan fold foam. If you need to use a wooden dow as a center spar, that would be fine as long as you do your best to hide any non-foam parts. The tree itself can be decorated using any materials you would like. We will do our best to immolate the decorations and design concept you had in mind for our own tree using your actual cut files as our starting point. All entries must be posted on this thread by Tuesday, December 2, 2009. All entries should include the SketchUp file, Phlat Code text file, and any special instructions you may have for building it. Phlat Code should be generated using the PhlatScripT. We will cut out the winning Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree on the Phlatprinter using 1/4" fan fold foam with an 1/8" bit. We are not responsible if an entry is not received. When possible, please use the tab and slot construction for ease of build. We will be using hot glue to build the Christmas Trees.

Only one prize will be issued. The Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree with the most votes wins! We reserve the right to cancel this contest at any time for any reason. We reserve the right to disqualify any entry, if necessary. We will notify the winner via a private message through the Phlatforum. Only one entry per person. We reserve the right to update these rules at any time during the contest. All posts made by kram242 or theothers in the Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree Contest thread will be considered part of the rules (in case we didn't think of something )

PRIZE:
    One Phlatboyz Bit Kit and The Carew's will use the winning Christmas tree as their official 2009 Christmas Tree :D

JUDGES:
    Visitors to the Phlatforum between the dates of 12/02/09 - 12/09/09 by casting votes via a poll.

DIRECT QUESTIONS TO:
    Please post on this thread any questions.

No purchase necessary to win. Void where prohibited. By entering this contest, you have agreed to all of the rules listed above and that your design is public and can be shared on the Phlatforum for anyone to download and build their own Phlatboyz Foam Christmas Tree. Phlatboyz, LLC is not responsible for any injuries that may occur as a result of this contest.

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Another cool contest indeed! You know I'm in. :p

3. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Alright Boyz and Girlz!! I need to step up to the plate and donate some of my creative intuition! I love this time of year and with an ever growing Family we ran out of room for our BIG Christmas tree. So , this was a great opportunity for me to design one that will fit in a corner of our home :)
    As far as instructions this is very simple to build and there is a total of 9 pieces!! I started by inserting the discs into the slots of the main tree and then secured the two halves into there respected slots.Hot glue all the seams liberally. Next I assembled the base which was intended so you could put sand into it, to keep it from tipping !! The base is constructed of a one piece wrap around and a 10" disc glued to the inside of the bottom. Install the Angel and its ready to decorate !!I Have fun and Good luck !!

PS, the finished product to come soon!! :p Attached files Christmas Tree Contest.zip (438.1 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

The tree looks good John. BTW, nice helmets on the display cases ;)

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

John, That tree ROCKS! Trish and I were so happy to see this and we can't wait to see how the kids paint it :)
    Nice job guys
    Mark and Trish

6. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thank you Guyz!!! I had a lot of fun designing this, it is going to be fun decorating it too!! My kids love rattle cans lol !! Cant wait to see all the others!! :)

Tim, I cant hide my Star Wars fixation very well :D

Take care
    John

7. MartinT

MartinT Member

-"Yeah, I feel the Force is strong on this one!"

8. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hey guys, here is the finished project !! :p More pics in post above!!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That turned out great John!

10. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

very nice!

11. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thank you Guyz!!! Hope to see more Trees on here :D It wouldn't feel like winning if it was unanimous LOL :mrgreen:

John

Just to let everyone know, I was at a local Rite Aid and they have these cool little battery operated lights strands for $1.49!!!

12. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Fantastic tree John! Thanks for the pics. Little Noah is getting big quick! :)
    Great job guys
    Mark

13. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thank you Mark!! Yea, Noah is growing so fast, it wont be long we will have all three kids in elementary school at the same time for one year!!WELL lets not rush it LOL :D

John

14. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Here is an update on the Phlatboyz foam Christmas tree. I took this picture a few minutes ago. It looks great!! Thanks again John!

Attached files [​IMG]

15. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

WOW!! That looks Awesome Trish!! :) It really makes those presents look big :D I have mine in the shop and the kids seem to decorate it often with whatever they can get there hands on LOL!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

John