1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlatcode generation problem

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by navionflyer, Aug 31, 2009.

1. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

When I generate the phlatcode for the the Funder n Lightning, the fuselage cutout comes out like the picture attached. It keeps plunging the bit in and out and overlapping the previously cut area. The fuselage is all curves, but the other curves in the file for the wings, horizontal stab, vertical stab come out fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tim Attached files [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Make sure the part is truly flat (use the new phlatten tool in the script) then redo the cut lines. This should fix the problem.

3. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Thanks Shaun. I tried phlattening it and even re-drew it. No luck. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tim

4. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

can you post the file?

5. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Here are the Sketchup and CNC files. Please note that it is intended for a double thickness of FFF. The wing leading edge is at the fold.

Thanks,
    Tim Attached files funder9.cnc (21.2 KB)Â funder9.skp (285.4 KB)Â

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I've seen this before, where the phatscript thinks each segment is separate and keeps moving the Z. What you need to do is weld the outside edge (sketchup weld plugin), so it's one single curve. Here is the result. I've checked it and the generated phlatcode is correct.

I remember during the live preview of the new phlatscript, the phlatten functions broke up arcs. I wonder if it will cause this type of problems?

Attached files funder9_body only_welded.skp (65 KB)Â

7. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Great observation, thanks for pointing it out. I'll look into it.

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

9. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it to work with the weld tool and without. After getting it to work without welding and without the center line, I tried it with the center line and it worked there as well. Not sure what was going on, but it's working now. Once I cut one out to verify it, I will post it in the files section.

Thanks again for the help,
    Tim

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Navionflyer,

This bugged me too. So after 3dmon's post, I've been messing with it and I came to the same conclusion, also. It seem to work no matter what, after the original phlat lines were deleted. I must have generated the g code a hundred times. There were a few rare times, it didn't work, but I could not reproduce it. One thing of interest, was the slot and hole face were reversed (white).

-Kwok

11. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Kwok,

I reversed the hole and slot faces to see them better. One of the tutorial videos suggested that and I have been doing it. The thing that happened to me that was curious was that the fuselage when I selected it for the outside cut would turn white. I could then reverse the face, but would get the problems with the outside cut.

Thanks,
    Tim

12. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Tim,

I also got the fuselage turning all white, but never figure out why. And yes, I think that's when the problems happened. And I was starting to think it was the slot face. Anyways, you should not be reversing the faces of slots and holes. Which face is showing, determines the direction of the cut, clockwise or counterclockwise. You want the dark face always showing. If you reverse the face, then both inside and outside cuts will cut in the same direction. When you cut a piece, the whole retreating and advancing blade thing means one side will have a rough cut and the other side good. And we want the good side on the piece we keep, not the waste piece. I just checked with a simple part and yes, reversing the face changes the direction of cut.

-Kwok

13. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member