1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PhlatCutter Sheath

Discussion in 'Functional Art/Craft Designs and Others' started by gasmasher, Mar 11, 2010.

1. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I have nicked my fingers a few times because I'm not paying attention when grabbing the PhlatCutter. It is an excellent tool for liberating a bundle of blue FFF from its accordion binds with some nice straight edges.

Since I make a living with my fingers as a programmer and feel those nicks everytime I press a key I drew up this simple sheath for the cutter. Hopefully it helps prevent someone else from looking like my old shop teacher Mr. Stumpy.

GCode is set for a 1/8" bit but watch the feedrate since it is set at 400. It cut it with no problems using the fishtail chipper in the Phlat Bit Kit using 280 steppers and the Harbor Freight router speed controller set in the middle of the green (Medium).

Assembly is very easy as long as you be careful about zeroing the Z. When I cut things with 180° bends I make sure the skin on the foam is facing up. Start by creasing the fold cuts.

Once you have all the folds creased just fold the sides in and lay the bottom over the main section. Apply a few pieces of tape or a dab of glue and you have a simple little holster for your PhlatCutter.
    Attached files PhlatCutterSheath.cnc (9.5 KB)Â [​IMG] PhlatCutterSheath.skp (54.6 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Tim this is great! I will be cutting one of these tonight. I am thinking I will add a mounting hole for using it on the pegboard in the Phlatlab :)
    Thank you for this great write up and sharing this great design.
    Great job
    Mark

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Ok so I could not wait :D
    Here she is ready to go
    Thanks again Tim for a great design Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Hey M & T,

That prototye cutter looks real dangerous. I think you should make a holster for that one too. :D

Tweakie.

5. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Looks awesome Tim.

-Peter

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Good thinking Tim!

Hey Mark I think you got something a little off there. It looks like Tim designed it so the blade is inside the sheath. :D

7. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Gas, thanks for sharing this! Your work here has got me looking at my workshop differently now. I, too, have pegboards and never really thought of using my PP to create unique ways of getting my clutter off the workbench and onto the board.

Thanks for the inspiration!

8. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Awesome, I'm glad it got some exposure. These little parts are exactly why I started in CNC. I always have tons of ideas for things all over the house but when it comes to hand tools I'm pretty much crap. It is a huge benefit to be able to design it on a computer where I am much more comfortable.

Watch out for next weeks project. I'm going to make a light box / back light for my wife to use when drawing transfers.

9. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

That sounds great! I will be watching for it - my wife will prolly want one, too. :D

10. RC-Rerun

RC-Rerun New Member

Sweet little project... Always safety first !!! lol

Dell

11. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Hey Tim, that is just what I needed but never thunk about it. Great idea, Thanks.