1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlatprinter Electronics Update Phlat Plane Build 9/15/10

Discussion in 'PhlatLAB LIVE shows' started by theothers, Sep 16, 2010.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Tonight we discussed some details regarding the Phlatprinter USB CNC Electronics package and had a couple of special guests, Dennis Green 1277, and Glen Evil tunes. We build three of the Phlatboyz planes getting ready for an indoor flyin' the next night. This show was full of information and a lot of fun!

Here is the link to the USB controller we plan on using and talk about on the show! :) Click on software to the left and you can download the latest version to try out.
    http://www.planet-cnc.com/

Here is a pic of the 4 axis driver board was plan to use

[pre] <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="386" id="utv943906" name="utv_n_270742"><param name="flashvars" value="loc=%2F&autoplay=false&vid=9598377&locale=en_US" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/video/9598377?v3=1" /><embed flashvars="loc=%2F&autoplay=false&vid=9598377&locale=en_US" width="480" height="386" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv943906" name="utv_n_270742" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/video/9598377?v3=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object> [/pre] Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

During the show last nite, I thought I heard you say you would post a link to the software package you spoke of during the show.

I was just tuning in when you were covering that and my ears perked up right away when I saw some of its capabilities as I am sure did others...

I'll watch the show again from the beginning, but if you could post the link, that would be great!

Thanks for all you do!

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

The first post has been updated! This is going to be awesome guys :D
    Mark and Trish

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

What happened to the board that Tim 'gasmasher' was doing or is that the one?

5. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Yoram,

About 2minutes and 30 seconds in to the show, Mark and Trish give an explanation on that. The short answer is no that is not the board from gasmaser. Mark and Trish didn't say if he was still going to be involved in Phlatscript development. In any case, I thank him for the work he did for us and wish him well.

Tim

6. TigerPilot

I had a feeling that there was some bad blood for some reason. You just confirmed it. Too bad. :cry:

P.S. I had not watched the show. What with the slow DSL that I had in the Dom. Rep. Now that I'm back home I will look it up again. The DSL here is four or five times faster. :)

7. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't really expect that there is any "bad blood" involved in the PhlatBoyZ' decision to go another route with the electronics package that they will be providing.

From what I know of Mark and Trish, their decisions are always made with the sole purpose of offering PhlatPrinter customers the best product at the best price, with that product having the greatest opportunity for long term value. As well, the newest USB consideration will allow existing PhlatPrinter owners an opportunity to upgrade to the newest technology without having to throw out their existing EZ-CNC cards (or whatever cards they may be using - Geckos, HobbyCNC, etc.).

As well, the previous card that was explored was not "open source" like the new consideration is, meaning that we, as a collaborative group, can never REALLY be in control of our future.

I, for one, am quite excited about this new technology. I expect that this new workflow will prove to be optimal, and a workflow that I will want to incorporate into my existing CNC machines. The cool thing about it is that all I will need to buy is a couple of the USB boards and I will be able to bring my MKII and my big FLA 3x3 machines up to date. If we were to go to GasMasher's card, it would mean that I would be forced to live with two workflows in my workshop - even if I chucked out my EZ-CNC card on the MKII for Tim's card (at an expected significant expense), at minimum I would still not be able to go that route on the big CNC (I seriously doubt that Tim's card would be capable of running my big machine in place of my Gecko G540 card).

Let's face it, the PhlatPrinter technology has been moving pretty fast (the first two CNC's are no longer in production and we're already on the 3rd generation machine and the PhlatBoyZ business is only slightly older than 2 years). That is an incredible evolution! Perhaps some folks have felt "left behind" with their previous investments in PhlatBoyZ machines, and there's not anything wrong with those older machines. In addition to making the PhlatBoyZ CNC solutions even BETTER for the rankest beginners looking to get into this crazy CNC stuff, the owners of the older machines will also be able to follow the "path to the future" with the least expensive out-of-pocket investment (should they opt to).

I've said all of this to support why "I" think M&T have decided on the route that they're going. I could certainly be way off base here, though.. :D

I feel that Tim has a product that is going to be superb and will revolutionize the Hobby CNC world, even if it doesn't quite fit in with the PhlatBoyZ plan at this time. In fact, I expect that I will be buying one when they become available. I have also been waiting for him to give me the "thumbs up" when he's ready with it so I can get him on my little show to tell the world about it. It's gonna be so cool!

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

That the usb card is not "open source". The firm ware and software code is not released, but the SDK is available so you can write software to interface with it. That's the same as Tim's card, from what I understand. And the same for google sketchup ;). I am still waiting to see Mark & Trish actually test run it and give the thumbs up. Here is the cnczone thread I found, when the card 1st came out: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84346

[addition]
    Or are you guys talking about the hardware being open source? They do give you the pcb schematics and parts list.

-Kwok

9. chawkiz

chawkiz New Member

hello

i have licence for this software from kroko and software and hardware very nice

but for cnc machine 3 axe and hotwire machine

for phlatprinter i dont know

sdk software is limited for test only you must bay licence

but ask korko for make free interface to uses all software universel usb interface card for cnc

10. kram242

chawkiz, welcome to the Phlatforum! :)

Mark and Trish

11. kram242

Well said Mike thank you :) In this weeks show viewtopic.php?f=180&t=2193#p22364 we try to explain a little more on the details of using the usb/easycnc card combo, but the main reason is that we can all use any driver card of our choice with the right cable. The easycnc card for us has proven its worth and so we have decided to stay with that one.
    Mark and Trish

12. TigerPilot

Mark, I'm not sure I understand. Are you still using the USB board or not? And if yes, how does it connect to the driver board?

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, showed it hooked up and running at the very end of this week's live show: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=2193 There is an adapter cable that connects it to the driver board. Here are some screen grabs:
    Attached files [​IMG]

14. kram242

Awesome Kwok :D Thank you
    Mark and Trish

15. TigerPilot

Do you have to buy the cable assembly extra or does it come with the board?

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark said the guy, who designed the usb board, is making up the adapter cables for us. So I guess it depends on where you are buying your board, if it is extra or not.

You should be able to just choose the "usb option", if you buy the MK3. I just put in my order with the "usb option". So it should come with everything: the usb board, adapter cable & software. It's listed this way:
    # USB Controller Board (option)
    # USB Adapter Cable (option)
    # USB Software (Option)

17. kram242

Kwoks got it right, it comes with everything you need :) You can buy without the easycnc driver board if you would like. We will be bringing the USB board and cable option for the easy cnc driver board as a separate option to the Phlatstore soon as well.
    Its is really crazy exciting here! :D
    Thanks guys and thank you Kwok for your continued support.
    Mark and Trish

18. shazinaz

shazinaz New Member

I would love to explore.

19. kram242

Try www.planet-cnc.com for the usb to cnc board
    Mark and Trish