1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pilot figures

Discussion in 'What plans are you looking for?' started by italianmaxx, May 7, 2009.

1. italianmaxx

italianmaxx New Member

I am sure that we all can make good use of a 3d file or a skp file of a pilot , a half pilot will also work.
    We could carve with the PP the front side (and maybe the rear also in a 2nd pass) and paint it so to have someone to put into our planes!

I can't find a good one, anyone have a good one?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I would think that a profile of a pilot would be simpler to work. Print and carve one left-side and one right-side, and you could glue 1 or 2 layers of FFF between them for the proper scale width. A little sanding, a little paint, Voila!
    I wonder if the Slice plugin would work for that? I haven't used it, but if you could create a sliced model with no horizontal components, each vertical component could be completely machined - a left eye here, the right eye there, a nose. Kinda like the Tut head, but sideways.

For a model, how about Andy the Aviator (in the Phlatboyz Logo) ?

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Now that would be KEWL!

4. italianmaxx

italianmaxx New Member

Andy the aviator would be great... :lol:

about using slicer.rb it could work but this way the size of the pilot should be quite large. I thought about a real 3d carving, with a good bit (1mm or little more) we could reach a good precision with no effort (of course all depends on the 3d file used)

5. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Naw, I'm for the original idea, but I haven't had a chance to try and model one yet. :mrgreen:

PLEASE let me know if anyone does in the mean time! (I need a good excuse to rebuild my Z axis anyhow)

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I am trying to make one up for 2" foam in 2 parts. Not sure how it will turn out but I will let you know
    Mark

7. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

I looked at carving pilot figures with the PP a while ago, but I didn't get very far.
    My idea was to make a 'helmet-head' figure like these : http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/Acc ... tml#pilotx

I found a model in the 3D warehouse which I started playing with : http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

I figured I could export an STL file from SU and carve it on the PP in 2 parts (back and front). Unfortunately most of the software for creating the toolpaths seemed to be big bucks (Cut3D etc). I believe it may be possible to do this with the DeskCNC software : http://www.deskcnc.com/ but I haven't had time to play with the software yet.

An 'Andy the Aviator' pilot bust would be awsome! I know i'd put him in my planes :)

Si.