1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pocket Plugin Tutorial?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by strictly3d, Dec 27, 2011.

1. strictly3d

strictly3d New Member

Is there a Tutorial for the Pocket Tool Plugin? I can see all the zig zag lines in Sketchup and NOT in cncusb. Is there any help out there for the newbie?!

Dan

2. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

you have to use the centerline tool on the zigzags. Before I apply the centerline tool, I repair broken lines(plugin) and phlatten(another plugin) any line I am going to use the centerline tool on. The next step is weld(another plugin), sometimes I have to weld several times for it to really take. Once the line is repaired, phlattened, and welded, then I apply the centerline tool. Try practicing on some shapes in su, save the Gcode then look at it in cncusb, if there are extra Z axis moves then the line wasn't welded completely. Dump that file, go back to su and fix the lines that had the extra Z axis moves. When welding, move the part to the side, so you can see what happens to the line, when you weld it. You will see some parts of the lines will turn black, while some parts remain selected, if so weld it again, the whole line should turn black. The pocket tool doesn't do all the work, but it is way way way way better than doing pockets manually.

checto likes this.
  3. strictly3d

strictly3d New Member

Wow...Never thought the extra work was needed...Well I will try to figure out your answer and hope I can get a simple one done. Being new I am really getting an education. Lots of work but I think I am having fun!

Thanks for the response....

Dan

4. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

If your pockets are simple shapes it's not much work. There is a plugin that repairs broken lines and phlattens at the same time, look it up, it might save some time. Watch the vids, read the threads, we all have had to learn a lot. I actually put my pockets inside of an inside cut path, it's a little more work, but it guarantees clean edges on my pockets.

5. strictly3d

strictly3d New Member

Well I was able to do some pockets on my Yak Wing. Looks good even in CNCUSB and it came out I think good. Too late to fire up the MKIII but if it works I will have to buy you a virtual beer! I just clicked on the pocketed area and used the centerline tool. It seemed too simple. Maybe I got lucky. I downloaded the repaired pocket plugin and it worked. the morning will tell. I will send you a pic....

Have not seen a video on any pocket tutorial yet. That is y I cried out for help!

Next is letters and logos....

Thanks for the help! I just wish I could be of some help later on.... I will have to work on that.

Dan

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member