1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

pocketing problem - centerline tool

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by checkers, Jul 4, 2012.

1. checkers

checkers New Member

Hi,

I followed your tutorial on pocking and tried it on this shape.
    The G-Code does not come out right. Not even close to what it should be.
    So, I suppose this is a bug report.

Sketchup 7 with the latest Phlat tools installed.

Attached files PocketingProblem.skp (482 KB)Â

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I don't know what went wrong but something in your setup is not agreeing with SketchUcam. I looked but couldn't find it. What I ended up doing is copying your pocket, just as you made it with the phlat lines, and pasted it on my work sheet. The pocket is now coming up as drawn.

Edit: After I posted it I noticed that my file is way smaller than your file even though I just copied what you had drawn. I think that that confirms my suspicion that you had set up SU differently and that something in the setup is conflicting.

BTW, I'm using SU 7 too. Attached files PocketingProblem1.skp (329.5 KB)Â

3. checkers

checkers New Member

Yes, I see that if I select all and move it that it also corrects the problem.
    Actually, I tried a few more and sometimes I have to cut and paste to correct the problem.

I would suppose that Shetchup re-structures the data when it is cut and pasted. That is probably why you saw a smaller file. Shetchup probably did some garbage collection.

I guess cut and paste is a good workaround for now.

Thanks for verifying.

4. checkers

checkers New Member

TigetPilot,

I see that your .skp file has decimal values (0.5000") enabled in place of the Sketchup fractions (1/2").

Can you tell where you set this preference?

5. TigerPilot

windows/model info/units

Attached files [​IMG]

6. checkers

checkers New Member

Brain Teaser time ...

I have discovered another problem with the centerline tool. (Or it is a problem with the Phlatprinter III, but let's look at SW first because it hass been making accurate square cuts)

It looks good when I 'Plot GCode', but I get this when I cut the foam. So, what is the problem?

I will attach the sketch that I printed, but here is a photo of what I am getting when I print it.

Attached files [​IMG] concentric.skp (795.6 KB)Â

7. TigerPilot

It's definitely hardware and not SW, checkers, but I'm stumped what the problem is.

8. checkers

checkers New Member

Yea, me too.

I would like to know if you would try this cut and see if you get the same results.

Till then, I'll try to make some adjustments to the stepper driver board and see how that affects the problem.

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

10. TigerPilot

Sorry, checkers, but my printer is 2500 miles away from me. :girl_cray2: I use Mach 3 so I don't follow the CNCUSB thread. It may be a SW issue after all, if I understand it correctly from Mark's insinuation. That is if you are using the CNCUSB SW.

11. checkers

checkers New Member

Well, I looked at it further.

I cut a smooth edge on a sheet of foam so that I would have a good reference edge.
    I put it in the printer and ligned it up square.
    Then I drew a line along that edge on the printer top to see if the material was moving.

Sure enough. The 3/4" blue foam from Lowes is creeping to the left a little each time.

So I wrote a short CNC file - X10.0 then back to X0.0 and repeated it 20 times.

The net result is that it creeps left just over 1/4" for twenty 10.0" moves along the X axis.

I think that I saw a thread somewhere on this. Maybe I will have to build a set of guide rails to keep the material from shifting.