1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pontoon plane

Discussion in 'Double Wing Aircraft Plans' started by tsknutsen, Jan 3, 2010.

1. tsknutsen

tsknutsen Member

Ok, this is a test, I havent made it yet, and there is probably alot enhancements to do on it. This is my first design from scratch and i thought i should share it and maybe get some ideas for improvement and such :D

My idea is to make this as a waterplane of sorts. Therefore the floaters in front and back

Any feedback would be apreciated

-tsknutsen Attached files [​IMG] Pontoon plane.skp (377.3 KB)Â

2. tsknutsen

tsknutsen Member

oh yeah, I've made it for 3mm depron as that is what i have available.

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Just a guess, but I think the pontoons may have to be much longer. Typically they generally stretch nearly three fourths the length of the fuse and maybe a little further apart would help.

Nose probably needs to be extended to allow counter balancing weight aft so you can get the CG to come out about one third the width of the wings.

I'm no aircraft designer, so don't take my word. Like I said, just a guess on my part having looked at a lot of different planes.

4. tsknutsen

tsknutsen Member

Thanks for the quick reply. :) I've enhanced the length of the nose a bit, i've also changed the pontoons in height, i've also enlarged the tail pontoon in length and height, so hopefully i wont need to increase length of the front pontoons.. i really havent seen any aircraft with a tail pontoon, and i figure there is probably a reason for that. but i kinda like to test it out :)

i've added a picture and the skp for the new model :)

again thanks for quick reply... now i got to go to bed, its 1 in the morning here.

-tsknutsen

ps. the size of the model when it comes to printing it is going to be scaled down so i can fit it on 2 or 3 sheets Attached files Pontoon plane secon edition.skp (376.4 KB)Â [​IMG]

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Looking good tsknutsen!
    Looks like you are getting Sketchup down nice job.
    The only thing I can see that may be of some help is to help with where your prop will be in relation to the water level you may way to add a disc to the front the same dia of the prop you intend on using. Then you can draw out your water line of how low the plane will sit and see if your prop will hit the water so than you can make modifications from there. As for the tail float I would lose it and move the front pontoon forward more even under the prop aways. All the weight will be closer to the front and with the drag of the water I think you will in this configuration it will want to flip over as you throttle up.
    Hope this helps
    Keep up the good work
    Mark