1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Power Supply Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Driver Card Chat' started by ttraband, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ttraband

ttraband Member

Hey there. I've had my Phlatprinter running since mid-December, although I have just been lurking here and enjoying the posted plans and links - thanks everyone.

I had ordered the control board that Easy-CNC quite some time ago - I had grandiose plans of a big router table then saw the Phlatprinter and figured that would get me up and running way quicker. Anyway, I've been running the board off of a converted computer power supply, and it works fine, but is too bulky to tuck inside the printer. Now the family insists that the "Cone of Silence" be the next project, and I like the clean look of bundling all those elements inside the enclosure. I have another "surplus" power supply from an old Canon printer, rated for 24 V at 1.5 amps, but I'm afraid it will be too wimpy.

Would you all be willing to share part numbers and volt/amp ratings for the power supplies you are using?

Thanks,

Tom T.

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

3. ttraband

ttraband Member

Thanks for the reply. I may just go ahead and mount the power supply I'm using that way myself - I also have a 4-channel relay board that I'm thinking of setting up for Dremel on/off and maybe a vacuum. Then again, one of my next projects is going to be CNC-enabling my hot-wire cutter, so maybe I'll work up an enclosure for the "brain boards" that can be easily moved between machines.

Of course, now I'm thinking all those LED's look cool, but then they'll be hidden within the "cone" once its done, so since I don't already have them on-hand it feels silly to pay money for them.

I want to get home/limit switches in place next, and then I am seriously considering the Y-axis belt-drive conversion, too. My y-axis speeds are pathetic compared to X.

I haven't designed anything myself yet, although I have cut several of the gliders, glue stick dispensers, and one of the pteranodon skeletons (for my neice). I also have a set of the foam hydrofoil/plane cut and ready to assemble, but no motor or radio gear for it at the moment.

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

6. ttraband

ttraband Member

Thanks again for all the replies. I think that for the time being I will keep running the power supply I have, and concentrate on an easy to manage enclosure to allow me to move the controller, relay and power supply between a few different machines.

Thanks again.

Tom