1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Problem with motor

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by TigerPilot, Apr 8, 2009.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I have the RC Smart 450 which is almost identical to this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-560-KV...34.c0.m14.l1262.
    I tried to run it with 8s, and it shaked like crazy. The ESC is meant only to be used with 7s. It was on the bench and I shut it off. It ran fine on 7s. After a few flight the motor came apart. The mounting bracket came loose. I tried to set it with two set screws but I can drill only so deep into the seat and then it hits the bearing. It still shakes itself loose. You can see in the attached picture the groove the screw left. I have two more RC Smart motors which are built similarly and I would not like them to come apart also. What can I do to repair this motor and to prevent the other two from coming apart?

Yoram Attached files [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

TigerPilot, i am thinking a JB-WELD ghetto mod....randy.

3. TigerPilot

Easy for you to say, Randy. :) Do you know where one get gems like this in the Dominican Republic? :) :)

Truth to be said, I read about it but never saw this stuff. Same thing with the Gorilla glue.

I do have epoxy steel glue. Is this the same stuff? I'm not sure if it is strong enough.

Yoram

4. rjarois

yoram, im not sure about the properties of the jb-weld, compaired to epoxy. without knowing the facts...i would think what ya got will do fine. even regular epoxy might be ok, depending on how hot ya run your motors. i never set mine up to get past luke-warm....maybe do a google search on the epoxy ya have and get the mds safety sheet and get a melting temp for the product. that will give you a good idea. i read somewere brushless motors should never be set-up to go over 150f. good luck, and post us a update. randy.

5. rjarois

yoram, jb-weld is good up to 500f deg. so it will easily handle the brush-less motor temps, as you can ruin the magnetism at around 180f.
    http://www.jbweld.net/faq.php

6. TigerPilot

I'll have to read about this JB-Weld stuff. It sounds like it is nothing like this epoxy steel. But then again I should read about this epoxy steel too. It may turn out to be one and the same. :)

Thanks Randy

Yoram

7. rjarois

yea yoram, might have the same properties. if it does, its some tough stuff. and work out well for what your doing. randy.

8. TigerPilot

Well I'll be a son of a gun. :) I went to J-B Weld's website and the following is what I found.
    Quote:
    J-B WELD is packaged in two tubes. One contains liquid steel/epoxy resin, and the other contains hardener. When mixed together in equal portions, a chemical reaction occurs that turns the mixture into a compound as hard and tough as steel -- and with similar properties.
    End qoute.

I made the bold part to call attention to it. Now I have to see what it says on the site of the product that I have. :)

Yoarm