1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Problem with outside tool

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by devodave, Jun 2, 2015.

1. devodave

devodave New Member

Hello all,

I am having problems using the outside tool. I have tried in many ways to get the form, with no success.
    The inside tool is no problem at all, but selecting the outside form is giving me headaches.

I have never been able to catch the outside form, in one step, with the tool. Then when it seems I've got the form, deselecting the lines I do no want (with sUc's eraser) the transcription in Gcode is not good.

I post the skp file for your kind review. Please let me know if there is something I do wrong.
    Thanks, :)

Attached Files:

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Hi
    Please watch this video

You will see that the 'blue' side of the faces are 'up', so in your drawing you need to 'reverse faces'.
    Blue side up is the default in every version of Sketchup I have here, so I don't know why you reversed them in the first place ? <-;

3. devodave

devodave New Member

Thanks swafer,

I do not know neither :(

From there, (with blue faces up), I have tried again the following: select outside line, then right click Phlat Edge > Outside Line.
    The gcode that I get is not in line with what expected ie only one side is ok.

Is there a trick, I am not following right?

Thanks again!

4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

rather use the 'outside cut tool' on the toolbar to place outside cuts outside the face you have drawn, just as I do it in the video I linked for you.

if you want to put cutlines 'anywhere' then you need to use the 'centerline tool' (they will turn green). this will cut but generally not in an optimal order, especially if they intersect and are not a loop.

outside and inside cut lines are processed in a different way and must be complete loops that do not cross/intersect , ie like a square around a square as in the video.

also, all the cut lines must be INSIDE the safe area otherwise some weird stuff happens because points outside the safe area do not get processed. so if the safe area left bottom corner is at 0,0 in sketchup, then the part left bottom corner cannot be at 0,0 but must be up and right so that the outside cut around it has space to exist away from 0,0

5. devodave

devodave New Member

swarfer,

thanks for your help, I think I got it.
    To Phlatdev team, thanks for sharing this great tool.