1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Problem with path when is equal tool diameter

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Mogway, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Mogway

Mogway New Member

Hi everyone,
    recently I have problem wit generating path when slot, pocket or shapes has same diameter as a tool . Path will not generate ( path is but not in gcode).
    Could anyone help how to avoid this behavior .?
    [​IMG]

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I think you are talking about the Phlatbone tool. It's a known problem and was mentioned various times. Make the diameter of the tool, in the Phlatbone parameter box, bigger than the tool. All it has to be is .001" bigger and all will be fine.

3. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

If you are running the latest version SketchUcam (1.1b) then the phlatbone tool is 'integrated'.
    What this means is that it installs at the same time, and when you bring up the phlatbone settings menu it will have fetched the bit size from Sketchucam, and added 'a little bit'. I cannot recall the exact size but I did an hour of testing to see just how much extra you need for reasonable reliability, and it uses that value. Some tricky corners may still generate crazy offset lines. Just increase the diameter of the bones, or maybe the type of bone.

As background, one of the tenets of CNC milling (in metal) is to never bury the tool in a corner, ie always cut a radius in the corner that is larger than the tool bit. I tried this recently on plexiglass, cutting 7mm radii with a 1/4" bit and it really did seem to have an easier time of it, cutting at 700mm/min at 25oooRPM, 2mm deep per pass.

4. Mogway

Mogway New Member

Basicaly on attached screen there is a problem with phlatbone tool but same problem is when I want to cut a groove which has tool diameter, for example square 2mm/100mm and bit has 2mm . Path is displayed but not in gcode. I have to always draw a line on center of these squares and cut this line.

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Can you post the .skp file where you have a problem? I can't visualize what you are talking about.

6. Mogway

Mogway New Member

In archive .skp and gcode .

Attached Files:

7. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

for this, use a single drawn line instead of the rectangle and set it as a 'centerline' cut. that is what the centerline tool is for.
    inside/outside cuts are required to be closed loops, and drawing inside a bit-diameter wide rectangle results in a single line which will show but not be cut..