1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PT-17 Biplane. Profile of course.

Discussion in 'Double Wing Aircraft Plans' started by frankrcfc, Jun 11, 2010.

1. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Was just hanging around rcg and spotted this. The guy provided a nice plan so I couldn't resist :D It is a 38" wing span. 2 cnc files. A quick readme and the sketchup file itself are in the zip file. Haven't built it yet but as soon as I get Buks phlatjack plane up in the air I will start this
    one :mrgreen:

Here is the post on rcg http://alturl.com/79kv

Attached files Stearman biplane.zip (104.3 KB)Â [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice clean model! Thank you Frank looks like it will float along nicely
    Mark and Trish

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Frank, I eyeballed this one myself. I love the bipes.

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I just completed building the PT17. Mine is (I guess) the original 39" span version. I read all the comments on RCGroups, especially the negative comments where it was stated this did not look like a Stearman and so on and so on. Well, It IS a profile foam airplane and I suppose technically it does ot look exactly like a Stearman. However, everyone who has seen mine knew what it is. Anyhow, the acrylic paint and home made decals add to the appearance of a Stearman. As does the "not too well designed" dummy 5cyl radial engine. All up weight 21 ounces. I am using a speed 450 motor and a 11x3.8 propeller. Maiden will be Saturday morning weather permitting. Here are some photos of the "It doesn't look like a Stearman"...(all graphics done on the PC using either clear or white full sheet self adhesive labels from Online Labels)

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana... Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Heck at 50 foot I bet it would look just like the full scale one I see passing by occasionally on my way home from work. The approach for the local county airport goes right over a traffic light I sometimes get. And there is a beautifully restored PT-17 that shoots touch and goes. Occasionally the thing goes right overhead...almost dripping oil in the sun roof :)

Looks GREAT including the dummy engine.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Chuck, anyone who'd say that doesn't look like a Stearman deserves to stay on RCGroups. Heck, most of the people over there would have to post a scathing "exposé" because the last RTF they bought had an out-of-balance propeller, which made the model "unflyable". Glad you posted the photos here, because I hardly ever login to that site anymore.
    I think the model looks great! :cool:

7. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Great job Chuck! That thing came out sweet. Those guys who can't tell it is a PT-17 are still trying to figure out where to put the fuel in there new fancy electric motor.

8. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I like it! I love the color scheme too! I really enjoy flying biplanes so this will have to go to my "must build" list, as if I need yet another plane! :p

9. kram242

Nice job Chuck! I love it and the stickers came out great. I have a question did you paint and then put the stickers on or the other way round? I just wonder because they show up great and I know the clear ones do not have the white backing to them.
    Thanks for sharing this :)
    Keep up the good work
    Mark and Trish

10. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks to you all for the compliments. The thing still has to fly, but that is another matter. Mark, the "stickers" are on white self adhesive full-sheet labels from OnLine Labels. The labels are OL175WG, 100 sheets. I know what you mean about the clear stuff. The white works well with ink-jet printers then I overspray the printed label with clear laquer and let it dry. This weather proofs it. The stars were printed on white and pasted directly over the paint. The lettering, "U.S. ARMY" was printed on clear so the yellow wing woudl show through. The clear looks fine if the printing is Black or some othr solid dark color. My comments about the airplane not looking like a Stearman were the result of somebody on RCGroups who was actually pretty rude to the designer of this PT-17 and I thought it was uncalled for. Thankfully, users of this forum have more class than to put someone down for the job they have done. Constructive criticism is okay, but trashing someone's efforts makes no sense.
    Gonna fly this puppy Saturday, theat will be the final test. Again, thank you Mark and all of you for your comments. It is a pretty nice looking foamy. I think the colors and the decals make all the difference in the world.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

11. Chuck

Chuck New Member

rcav8r...a local guy in this town owns a PT17 also and flies it around a lot. I suppose if I offered to pay for the fuel he would take me cruising. I recall when the Navy decided to unload these airplanes they sold them for (I think) $750 and that included a full tank of fuel.

Dorsal: I didn't post these photos on RCGroups at all, only on this forum and some to the guy who scaled it down for me so it would print on smaller Depron. The original (like the photos) was 39" span, the redo is 36" span. I have not built the smaller version yet, but will.

7up - yeah, I don't get it either. It IS NOT an exact scale model of the Stearman, nobody said it was, but one guy on RCGroups was trashing it a lot saying is is just another stupid profile that really does not look like anything. Okay, that is an opinion. The creator was cool and said he looked at actual Stearman measurements and did the best he could. It will most certainly "resemble" a stearman at 50 or 100 feet!

Flashsolutions- color scheme is pretty close to U.S. ARMY trainers. I think the Blue and Yellow are a little bit off but it is all I had on hand. You need to build one of these, that way, if I wreck this one, I can see yours fly.

12. kram242

Thanks for the information Chuck I am going to try that out on some black depron ans see how it looks using the white backing sticker paper.
    As for the guys on the 'other forum' that's their loss :)
    The golden rule applies here on the Phlatforum, not because we have to but because we want to. That's the difference in class that I see and it makes all the difference in the world :)
    Thanks again Chuck
    Mark and Trish

13. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Frank (and all)...Maidened the 18-19" PT17 Profile today. It was pretty breezy (15-20+ winds) but we put it up to see what it would do. Into the wind, it was airborn in about 2 or 3 feet. Climb was somwhat slow due to headwind but the Speed 450 motor did fine with a 11/7 prop. Plane tracked well and showed no bad habits. Because of the headwind, it landed like a helicopter. Still need to see how it does on a calm day and there are not many of those in Indiana. In a nutshell, made as designed with a 450 and a 1000 mAh 3s LiPo this airplane flew great and guess what?...it even LOOKS like a Stearman at a hundred feet or so. Great job on this design. I am eager to build another one, for 'backup' of course! I highly recommend this bipe to anyone who wants a nice solid and good-looking airplane. Thanks to all who made this addition to my hangar possible.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana... Attached files [​IMG]