1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Red Lines all over in Mach 3

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Bohh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bohh

Bohh New Member

Hey all,

I'm working on an Eagle. You can find it in the phlat file forums. Anyway, when I export the file to Mach3 from Sketchup, I get red lines all over the place. It's wasting time and cutting funny because of them.

Can someone look them over and tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks! Attached files Eagle Sheet 1.cnc (191.5 KB)Â

2. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Are you grouping your parts after you apply the code? I forgot to do this and was getting similar problems...

3. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

If you did that, the problem could be due to parts not being on the zero plane... But now I don't know what I'm talking about because this has changed according to what Mark was saying last night...

4. Bohh

Bohh New Member

I thought I did , but I will go back and check and remake this evening.

Thanks TV

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I had some similar issues with a drawing, after I had scaled down a previously cut part. After scaling, I re-applied all the inside, outside and tab cuts, grouped them and generated the G-code. When I was done, there were little, tiny over-run cuts in many of the acute inside corners. I finally gave up trying to fix them, and removed all the PhlatLines then replaced all the acute corners with .050 radius corners. That seems to have fixed the problem, but I wonder why it started in the first place.
    I think when a part is scaled, Sketchup scales the line segments also - and at some small dimension, the Phlatcode can't physically cut it but doesn't know to ignore it either. So it draws a cutter path for what it can do, but then comes back later to "touch up" that tiny line segment. I don't think the cutter would actually make any dust, but it sore draws travel paths all over the place trying to re-cut all of them.

6. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Hummm... I just thought about some things I've done in the past to fix strange issues similar to this... try doing a cut and past operation prior to applying the ps.
    Also if you have the zero line script (or what ever it's called to 2d stuff) move your part up in the Z, 2d it, then do a cut and paste operation, then 2d it again. By the time I do all that junk it usually works. But again, I say wait for Mark on the 2ding stuff before you run out and buy anything....

Also 3DMON recommended a find stray line script in another thread, that might be a good thing to have as well.. <shrugs>

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Bohh,

Yes, I see you gcode is a mess and going all over the place. I tried the small wing section and got it to work. Think you need to weld to a single line. See my skp and cnc file. I have the original eagle pdf, so I converted to dxf, imported into sketchup and resized it to 56" span. Even when I deleted everything except this small wing part, saving and moving was still really slow, so I don't know maybe it can even be simplified further:

I used the weld plugin: http://www.cad-addict.com/2008/08/sketc ... -weld.html
    But 1st, I couldn't get weld to work until I get rid of stray lines. Actually it was just 1 stray line. Use the stray line plugin "stray_lines.rb": viewtopic.php?f=78&p=5196#p5164
    Choose, the label option and it will label where the stray line is. Delete it. Then use weld. It will even ask if you want it to find the surface and it does create the surface.

<addition> By the way, when you use Weld, you do have to sit like a fool :| and wait. There is no progress bar.

-Kwok Attached files eagle56_test.zip (91 KB)Â

8. Bohh

Bohh New Member

Thank you kyyu. I will try that then. I went through this evening and did what TV suggested, but no luck. I will give your solution a shot tomorrow.

I have 3 sheets to do and did notice they all were slllloooowww to mess around with. Attached files Eagle.rar (686.5 KB)Â

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hi Bohh,

I took a look at your sketchup files and tried to see if it would work with your files. I found out you just need to get rid of the "stray lines". That is what is causing all the problems. You don't need to weld, for it to work. Is there an easy way to delete all the phatscript lines? I had to do it manually and it took a long time, just for that one piece.

-Kwok

10. meistertek

meistertek Member

Bohh, I sometimes have the same problem with the lines all over the place too. Usually to fix it I try welding first. If that doesn't work then I redraw the section that is causing the problems and that almost always clears up the problem. A few times I have had to zoom way in on the problem areas and clean them up. Also a few other time I have had the lines all over the place problem if the cut lines generated by the the PhlatScript loop back over themselves, for example in a narrow corner or key hole like feature, to fix this I just make the narrow feature a little wider than my cutter diameter or touch the area up with a single line which I use CenterLineTool to make the cuts on.

11. Bohh

Bohh New Member

Hey all,

Thanks for the help. I've tried your suggestions. I deleted some stray lines and welded the rest, but I'm still getting stuck.

For example, I'm just trying to work out the face of the eagle. I tried it two ways. The standard way, grouping the whole piece together after welding the lines for the beak and eyes, etc. The result is attached.

Next I tried grouping the face lines separate from the body lines. No luck there either.

Doh! I'd really like to fly this thing. Attached files gcode_out.cnc (60.1 KB)Â

12. Bohh

Bohh New Member

And here are the parts before I start messing with them. Just pulled from a PDF.

Attached files Eagle Parts.skp (550.9 KB)Â

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

What is it that you want to do to the face lines and eye? Just mark them with a shallow cut from the "centerline" tool?

I am just curious, what you used to convert the pdf?

14. Bohh

Bohh New Member

Yes. I am just trying to score them with the centerline tool to make it easy to paint the design.

I used Aide PDF to DXF converter.

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member