1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

retracing 3-views, plans

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by jonquinn, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

I've got a question about how to make redrawing plans/3-views into sketchup easier.
    So I've tansfered my drawing or plan (let's say something like the Steve Shumate T-38/F-5) into sketchup. I want to make a cut file, so what I've done is trace over or draw new lines over top. Then I can make into a component to move as one part. But I've got parts of the new and old lines right on top of each other and sometimes I have problems grouping the parts without bringing in some of the old lines, and at least the way I do it, now I've got a lot of small scale editing to do erasing unwanted lines.
    I was wondering if what I should do (not sure if its possible or how), is if I can set the original drawing slightly lower on the z-scale that where I plan to "draw" over top it, so there is a "vertical " separation between the two levels, making later editing or moving of the new parts/groups easier.
    I am thinking along the right track?
    I haven't done much sketchup work for a few months so I need to get back into it and get (somewhat) comfortable with it again.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I always find it easier to turn the original in to a component then turn on xray mode and do the drawing/tracing from the top down. Once complete you can select just the original and right click to hide it. This will allow you to grab the drawing and copy it or move it with out any interference.
    Another helpful tool is the lock tool. You can lock the original component so that it cannot be edited accidentally. I find this is not necessary (locking) because once the original is in a component the tracing/drawing that you are doing on the outside of the original component will not affect it.
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I do the same as Mark is doing only I use the 'Group' option. I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other, just what you are used to.

4. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

OK that should save me lots of time. Will have to get back into this soon before I forget everything I learned so far.