1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!



    Sign Up and take a look around. There are so many awesome new features.

    The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

    have fun sharing our RC adventures!

  2. Dismiss Notice

Safety of phlatformer

Discussion in 'PhlatFORMER General Chat' started by clshawks, Jan 14, 2013.

  1. clshawks

    clshawks New Member

    Offline
    Messages:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Today on our third or fourth pull, the plastic happened to burn too much and some of it fell onto the hotplate. It began to burn and release a foul smelling smoke that could be smelled throughout the entire building.

    Is this toxic? Should we be venting someway or using gas masks? We breathed in a considerable amount of this gas, should we be worried?

    Thanks in advance
     
  2. kram242

    kram242 Administrator Staff Member

    Offline
    Messages:
    6,311
    Trophy Points:
    13
    Location:
    NJ
    Hello clshawks,
    Anytime plastic is heated there is a chance of fumes. Its always a good idea to ventilate anything that changes the state of matter using heat. Even 3D printers should be ventilated because they melt plastic and give off fumes as well.
    People have been forming plastic in their home for years even using their kitchen ovens for the heater source. One example is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/doublellam ... 508593671/
    http://blog.makezine.com/2007/01/30/vac ... ming-in-y/
    You are using heat to melt plastic so you have to make sure you keep an eye on it and never leave it unattended. Keep a window cracked or use in a well ventilated area. The plastic should never touch the heating source in fact you are only trying to soften it for the pull, which takes only a few seconds over the heat source. I did a search on styrene fumes and found that it has to get extremely hot to release any toxic fumes. 300C - 572F
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 929AAYFBpb
    Its still never a good idea to breath anything thats smoking. In future make sure you are right there watching the plastic so that it cannot sag and touch the hotplate. It should only sag about 1/2" at the max. Any more and it becomes unusable anyway.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish
     
  3. clshawks

    clshawks New Member

    Offline
    Messages:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Thank you!
     
  4. kram242

    kram242 Administrator Staff Member

    Offline
    Messages:
    6,311
    Trophy Points:
    13
    Location:
    NJ
    Welcome clshawks :)
    Mark and Trish
     
  5. Brother Pain

    Brother Pain New Member

    Offline
    Messages:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Kansas City, MO

Share This Page