1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

sculpture like this (laptop stand)

Discussion in 'What plans are you looking for?' started by JBourdon, Mar 26, 2009.

1. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Looks interesting; but in the comment sections of that instructable, I see something even more interesting. Someone posted this link, to a guy making surfboards out of regular cardboard. Wow :shock: , I am definitely going to try to make a model of one in the future:
    http://www.sheldrake.net/cardboards/

-Kwok

3. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

the surfboards are cool not very useable here in UK, the weather is absolutely horrendous?

On the other hand I saw that in a local shop.
    Didn't see the price but sure they charge a fortune!!!
    would be nice to have too Attached files [​IMG]

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Drawing up stuff like that is probably not as hard as you think. Look at this plugin example:
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=587
    I think it only works in X,Y & Z and not in radial directions, like that picture. But it's just a matter of finding a plugin or modifying one to work. It even generates the intersecting slots. I am interested in stuff, like this, so I will look into it and give it a shot.

-Kwok

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Got the modeling done. Just have to do the tabbing. :p
    Attached files [​IMG]

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I don't know, Kwok, but I don't get these kind of results from that plugin. Must be something in my setting. I played around with it but it didn't come out like your model above.

Also, in none of my setting did I had the top or bottom plated like it shows above.

Yoram

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I think I know what my problem is but I don't know what the solution is. Your cuts, Kwok, are all pointing to the center, mine are just square cuts. How did you slice it in rotation?

Yoram

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I found out these models were called SliceForms. Right now there is no simple solution, because just the plugin won't do it for you. Like you said, it won't slice in rotation (radial direction). I am just doing it one step at a time and figuring it out as I go. I didn't even use the SliceModeler plugin. But use the simple one it was based on, called slicer. That was just to get the horizontal rings. The vertical pieces, I just drew one and rotated/copied them. It was easy enough because you can rotate, hit the control key, and type "x11" and it makes all the copies at once. The tabbing is going to be hard. I'm working on it. Right now, I am thinking a Boolean plugin (join, cut, etc) should do the job.

-Kwok

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Done! All the parts are finished.
    Attached files [​IMG]

10. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

OMG! this is so cool !!!! Kyyu, I think you might need to make a proper tutorial.
    I hope Mark notices this...
    BTW, your model is almost there. but it doesn't have the smaller diameters toward the bottom simulating thread and bottom contact. Are you sure it is rounded enough on the bulb too?
    How many segments per circle are you using, the default 26 might be not enough for big pieces like this.it might be too edgy

I will surely print this one !!! :) :)

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Yea, I never meant to make a detailed exact copy. Just a simplified learning model. The segments should be default. I never changed anything. This is only the second model I've drawn for the PP (1st was mouse trap) and I can't even cut it myself to check it, so I didn't want to get too crazy with it. At least the end is tapered. It would have been alot easier to just have a straight tube, but it didn't look as good. I learn alot drawing it. I did take a series of screen shots so, I can post a quick tutorial and the files (probably tonight). It's pretty big, 21" long and uses 2 sheets of FFF. Maybe you can smooth the curves, on mine, with a plugin; or follow the tutorial and draw you own.

-Kwok

12. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

13. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

Thanks. just viewed it, great Tuto! :D