1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SDGEEBEE

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by sdparkflyers, Mar 18, 2010.

1. sdparkflyers

sdparkflyers New Member

The plans keep coming!

Here is a plane I did last summer I just converted over for the phlatprinter

Plane is all 1.3 # 9mm EPP foam

Uses all budget hardware will post more information later

3- 5 gram servos
    Bluewonder type Motor 1300-1500 kind
    10 amp brushless esc
    2 cell 7.4 volt 360-500 mah

" Can be built with no Rudder as a racer type airplane " Bank and yank flying "

or a rudder for more 3D type moves :) Attached files [​IMG] geebeephlat.cnc (20.1 KB)Â geebeephlat.skp (1.4 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Robert! You are knocking them out! Great job once again.
    I always loved this plane.
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

3. sdparkflyers

sdparkflyers New Member

Mark and Trish

I have over 30 Designs that are on my laptop and I will get them all converted over time this is a great place for me to post projects for others to Enjoy :)

4. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Very nice, one of my favorite planes ever

5. tsknutsen

tsknutsen Member

You make some really gorgeus planes sdparkflyers, cant wait to see more and to test them all :)

-tsknutsen

6. sdparkflyers

sdparkflyers New Member

Thanks I have more Plans I will post I have found a place that lets me show off my talent at last and it has energized me to do more :)

7. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I did some changes to match the 6mm depron I am going to use, I also notched the nose to fit the Firewalls Mark has posted.
    I hope you don't mind
    I also moved stuff around to fit on the shorter Depron sheets
    G-code is for a 1/16ths bit Attached files [​IMG] geebeephlat.cnc (20 KB)Â geebeephlat.skp (555.5 KB)Â

8. MartinT

MartinT Member

Marvelous plane Robert!
    Thank you!

Martin

9. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Nice plane, excuse my crappy painting skills.

Attached files [​IMG]

10. kram242

Jeff that turned out great! Looks like its going to be a nice flyer too.
    Excellent job brother :)
    Mark

11. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Thanks Mark, i did make a few changes but the dimensions are all the original

12. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

These are the changes I made, posting file and G-Code for 1/16th bit, 6mm Depron

Attached files [​IMG] geebeephlat.cnc (19.8 KB)Â geebeephlat.skp (553.1 KB)Â

13. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Jeff, what a great job setting this job up for Depron. I wish more of the amazing projects on this site were set up for the shorter than FFF white Depron. I do not know how to do all the things necessary to convert existing projects as you did. Guess I need to learn! I took a piece of green FFF and tested out your modification so I could glue it up quickly with hot melt just to see how it went together. It was great. Only problem was the tabs on the upper and lower fuse pieces were a bit too long and when placed in the slots they left a gap under the glud surfaces. I had to cut them off to eliminate that minor problem. I wish the machine had lightly etched the scroll lines. I know when I make a nice model I will probably slop that part of it up. Anyhow, I hot glued the green GeeBee and hooked up the electrics so I can see how it performs before I make a nice one from Depron. I am using a (don't ask me why) 3000kv outrunner which I had lying around and a 18amp ESC. The wings seem a little flimsy once the additional weight of the motor, battery, etc., are added to the fuse. Maybe a doubler under the leading edge would help. Anyhow, good job! I most certainly appreciate you efforts and just wanted to tell you so.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

14. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Hmmm, mine fit together perfectly, the green foam is only 5mm if I remember right so there prob would be a gap.
    If you have any problems with a drawing just let any of us know, we are all more than happy to help. :D

15. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks Jeff. I did not consider the difference in thickness of green vs depron, that could be the issue. Again, nice job on this and particularly since it fits the size Depron available. I am anxious to see how this thing flys. The tail feathers, especially the horizontal stab are quite small like many WWII warbirds. My experience is that this tends to make the airplane touchy to trim as they want to porpois a lot in level flight. We'll see. Again, thanks!

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana..

16. sdparkflyers

sdparkflyers New Member

WOW My dream is about to take flight how cool is that.

Please post a video

Thanks

Robert

17. kram242

Robert,
    Very cool :)
    That is the greatest part of the Phlatprinter, being able to bring your ideas to life :D
    Mark

18. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Robert...your "dream" will take flight tomorrow evening, weather permitting. I see a lot of flex in the wing using green foam (no surprise). I used some flat 3mm carbon fiber to epoxy to the LE on each side. I don't know how well this will work, but it can't hurt any. I am still seeking the correct CG for this airplane, but have not seen it anywhere. I guess TLAR applies in this case. We'll see about the video. Hope I can do that. Would you want to see it regardless of the success :).

Chuck

19. sdparkflyers

sdparkflyers New Member

I feel like the wright brothers trying to learn how to fly! thank god it's only fom up in the Air this time :)

20. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Robert - Jeff
    Weather cooperated "somewhat" so was able to test fly my green FFF GeeBee. I had to use a 1000 mAh lipo way, way up front to get a reasonable CG balance so I guess that made my GeeBee a little heavier than ideal. All up weight was about 12.5 ounces. I was using a Blue Wonder type outrunner rated at 3000KV which is high so I opted for a rather small prop - 7x4 electric. Anyhow, there was power to spare and the GeeBee literally flew out of hand and climbed straight up. Thee was an annoying choppy wind which made the flight characteristics hard to determine, but the plane flew fast and well upright and inverted. As I feared, the wing, at least made with green FFF, was too flimsy and the wing flapped like a seagull in the air and looked seriously close to folding whenever any up elevator was applied.
    But, no big deal. This is a neat little plane and worthy of a remake with Depron. I am considering some changes. (1) Larger motor, something like a 20-20 Hacker, mainly to add nose weight to the plane (2) a doubler under the bottom of the leading edge of the wing like the one used in the Funder n Lightning and the AT6 Texan to add strength. (3) Need something stronger than carbon fiber rod to make the wing strong so I will use carbon fiber arrow shaft. If either of you or anyone else knows why my planned modifications are a bad idea, please let me know. I plan on beginning the build tomorrow morning. In the meantime, Great Little Plane and with a stiffer wing should be a blast to fly. Thanks for the plan and the Gcodes!

Chuck

21. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Chuck, I wouldn't go the heavier motor route. You don't wont to make it heavier than it already is. Just move the wings an inch or two back or make the nose a bit longer. Since you're going to cut a new plane anyway, it's not a big deal to redraw it in SU.
    Just my $0.02

22. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I figured I would need a little more motor if I beefed up the wing, but maybe not. I would have to start over to stretch the nose and moving the wing would be complicated for me. I have put a 2.5 inch doubler under the leading edge of the wing and my carbon fiber "rod" is now a arrow shaft. This version may not fly well but I guarantee the wing will not flop up and down. I also wanted to be able to place the battery a little farther aft. I'll finish this one and start another and this time will fool with SketchUp and see if I can create some changes in line with your suggestion(s). Thank you TigerPilot.

Chuck

23. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

24. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Wow! Great! I will get these loaded into GCode and see what I can do with them. I sure wish I could get off my butt and learn how to make changes such as this. I cannot seem to find the time to spend to learn SketchUp and I am pretty crippled without that ability. Thanks a million. I can't thank you enough.

Chuck

25. sdparkflyers

sdparkflyers New Member

Ok and another way!

I made the wing cord 1" longer and enlarged the Ailerons!

The cnc file might need to have the tabs added and Im not sure how you guys are adding the line to cut the ailerons correctly.

So I uploaded the files so they can be played with! Attached files fatgeevrs1.cnc (16.5 KB)Â geefatwing.skp (528.5 KB)Â