1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SketchUcam cutting arcs?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by TigerPilot, Jul 31, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I thought that, when it was still called PhlatScript, the script was supposed to cut circles using the arc command and not cutting it in small strait line segments. Was it changed? I'm using SU 7 with the latest SketchUcam and my circles are not cut in arcs but in segments.

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

It does use the arc command. Make sure your arc or circle isn't broken up into segments before adding the cut lines. If you phlattened the parts this will also change arcs to segmented lines.

3. TigerPilot

All I did, Shaun, is draw a circle, 1", make the PhlatCode and cut it. It's part of the setup and calibration that I'm doing.

4. 3DMON

Please post the Sketchup file with your test circle. It should be working.

If the gcode shows something like this X0.7864 Y0.3233 Z-0.3500 R0.7525 with the "R" for radius then it is producing the gcode with the arc command. If the "R" is not there then something is not right.

5. TigerPilot

Nope, no 'R', only lots of command line, one for each segment. Here is the SU file and the g-code file that SketchUcam generated.

As I've said, I'm using SU 7 and, AFAIK, the latest SketchUcam. Attached files Untitled.cnc (1.9 KB)Â Untitled.skp (9.6 KB)Â

6. 3DMON

Yoram I just opened the gcode you posted and it is showing the "R". Here is a screen shot showing it.

It's working fine and should be cutting true arcs in Mach for you. Attached files [​IMG]

7. TigerPilot

You know what, Shaun, you're right, I didn't look into that file. I generated it just before I've posted. I have so many files I got confused. The file you saw was with the inside cut tool.

This, new, .cnc file is with the center line tool. Look at this file, that's the one I used for the cutting. No 'R' there. I don't know why the center line tool does not generate arcs but it doesn't. Check the SU file, you'll see that there is only the circle with the center line tool. If you try to erase it with the PhlatEraser it will ease one segment at time. Attached files Untitled.cnc (1.5 KB)Â Untitled.cnc (1.5 KB)Â

8. 3DMON

Oh I see, I didn't realize you were using the centerline tool. Only the outside and inside cut lines are setup for true arcs. The center line tool did not get this developed into it yet.

The best way to sort of fix this is to give the arcs something like 50 sides instead of the standard 12. This will smooth things out a lot.

9. TigerPilot

Yeah, I know about the increase of segments, Shaun, Been doing it for a long time now. I just didn't know that the center line tool is not arc supported. Thanks for the heads-up :good: