1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SketchUcam Sherline mill

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by iflyos, May 4, 2012.

1. iflyos

iflyos Member

Long story how, but I ended up with a Sherline 5400 cnc ready for a song.

I got it up and running, and talking to EMC2 with little to no issues, and have been jogging axis's and checking calibration this evening with great success.

However, I have run into an issue... I want to continue to use Sketchup and SketchUcam/Phlatscript, cause I am comfortable with them, and they work so well with the PP.

When I draw a simple test model in 3d to try to cut, when I generate a 3d Gcode, I get some weird stuff going on...Regardless of where I place the model (at 0,0,0, or elevated above 0 in the "Z" axis,) I get toolpaths generated to the sides at the bottom of the object. With the SLOW speeds of the Sherline (compared to a PP :D ), this adds considerable time to the cut process, as well as being unnecessary.

Am I doing something wrong, or missing something minor?

I have attached the skp and ngc/cnc files I generated from the skp if anyone cares to have a look.

Thanks!

Tim Attached files test_shape.cnc (7.2 KB)Â test_shape.skp (33.8 KB)Â

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Tim, make the safe area guide lines the size of the part that you want and it will generate the gcode at the size of the part only without the extra cut lines.

Like so. Attached files test_shape.skp (37 KB)Â

3. iflyos

iflyos Member

Thanks, Yoram!

As an aside, believe it or not, I actually am using a Univelop 3 axis driver to run the machine. I bought it quite a while ago, before I had a clue about anything CNC. If I am not mistaken, you have some experience with them...I can't say it is the greatest controller in the world, LOL, but it is working well so far.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I think the driver you are talking abut it the one I had a few years ago. I burned the axis' with the stepper I was using. I use the same stepper now on my PP III and the stock easycnc board and they run with no problem. I just threw the other board to the garbage when I left the Dominican Republic.