1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Sketchup Polygon is a circle?!?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by ehud42, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ehud42

ehud42 New Member

If I create a 6 sided Polygon in Sketchup and have the Outside tool trace it, the g-code is a circle. What's up with that? Manually drawing polygons creates straight lines.

Attached files outside_cut_test.ngc.cnc (5.8 KB)Â polygon.skp (11.1 KB)Â

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This is a known bug that we can't get around right now due Sketchup. This is because we have the G2/G3 command generating nice arcs for circles and arcs in Sketchup. The problem is Sketchup uses the same type of info when it creates a polygon with the polygon tool.
    The best way to get around this is to use the polygon tool to create your polygon and then right click on it and use the explode curve option. Now it will generate a normal gcode from it.

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

A tip, If you want the polygon as a curve instead of individual edges. You can explode it and weld it back. Then it becomes a "Sketchup::Curve" instead of a "Sketchup::ArcCurve", and the gcode will be correct.

[addition]
    Actually, you don't even need to explode it. Just weld the polygon directly.

-Kwok

4. jimfoltz

jimfoltz New Member

There was a new method added in SU version 7.1 to the Curve class called is_polygon? which might be helpful. The method should allow phlatscript to identify the edges as a polygon and output the correct gcode.

http://code.google.com/apis/sketchup/do ... is_polygon?

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

It would be nice to be able to turn the G2/3 off. I like the idea of what you see is what you get. If I want a circle with smoother looking arc I can always add more lines segments to the entity
    I have noticed that if I add 48 segments on a say 2" circle cut, you can't really see the difference between the two after the cut.
    Mark and Trish