1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SketchUp Problems

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by cptdragn, Dec 23, 2008.

1. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

*****Split from Re: SketchUp Tutorials*********

Given that I have sat though these video half a dozen times and STILL can't get a handle on it, I for one will be looking forward to a "operations manual" Crash. I thought I had it figured out after 3DMon tried to help me but I'm still having problems getting the code to come out right. I have a beautiful copy of the EPP Eagle that I would like to release for the PhlatPrinter but the G-Code will not work out as it should. Some of the time it wants to cut a half of the wing and others the other half. My cuts lines are all out of whack as well and I can't seem to figure out why. I really hate asking for assistance but I have no other ideas on how to get around this problem.

Tony

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure that your part files are flat on the z plane before you worked them with the code? If thay are angled it could be causing this type of problem?

Mark

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Try using the flatten to 2d on the parts that are causing the problems. I bet Mark is right and something is off just a little on the z axis. I've been wondering how you've come along since our session.

4. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

3DMON, Kram242,

If you don't mind, I'll send you my files just as they are. if that is indeed the problem, Then you'd be able to tell me. If not, Then perhaps you'd be able to tell me what it appears that I am doing wrong.

Tony Attached files epp_eagle.rar (205.7 KB)Â

5. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

here is the raw file before I started working it.

Tony Attached files Eagle 2.skp (138.3 KB)Â

6. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

And here is my SD file. I did generate G code for it but there was a lot of missed lines that didn't cut.
    also included is the file that 3DMON helped me with. All I did to that file was cut the parts down the middle ( they are actually two pieces rather than one whole one.) and generate the G code. Result was that it only cut one of the parts and had cut that one in the middle of the sheet rather than how it was lain out.

Tony Attached files sd.rar (3.9 MB)Â

7. kram242

Hi Tony can you please send the .rar files as a zip or as their own I can't find my winrar :)
    I did open the sketchup file and it was a little off on the z (flat) plane so I want to see the other file before I can say what is happening with your file here.
    BTW that thing looks super cool!.
    Just so you know, the board will accept dxf cnc skp files now :) ,but you can just zip them all it make it a lot better for ma.
    Thanks
    Mark

8. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

9. kram242

Hi Tony give this one a try
    I do not see whay you could not get it to work right there was a little area on the wing tips that was not completely flat but other than that it looked good. Oh yeah the scaling was off for 1/4 inch foam so I redid that too.

[​IMG]

I have all the parts worked and ready to be output to gcode,
    you should be able to open it and hit the output button and save it from there.
    It will take about a sheet and a half.
    Once you out put the set of wings that is in the safe cutting aera, then you need to drag the body into the safe cutting area and move the wings out. hit the gcode button again and then you should have both sheets ready for cutting.
    I just did this real quick because I have to go so i have no idea if it will work, but if it does please post in the free plans sections, because this is a cool one! :D
    Thanks Tony, can't wait to see her built up.
    Mark
    Attached files [​IMG] Eagle 4.skp (543.8 KB)Â

10. 3DMON

After looking at all of it, I think its because of the tight curves for the feathers.
    After looking at Mark's it still was showing the extra unwanted lines. Flattening it to 2d didn't help either. So in this case you can alter the Phlat edges.
    The pics I've attached shows how. I've had to do this with something a while back and it worked fine.
    Hope this helps. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Great post 3DMON! I had seen those as well but didn't think they could be fixed. I'm running into a problem attempting your fix. Just as I get it done, you can't get a face back on it. I can select it it but as soon as you try to right click it, it loses the outside lines and goes back to a all white inside with black outside lines. Ideas? I'm trying to work the tail section in the lower right ( One that is now white )

Tony Attached files Eagle 4_a.skp (592.2 KB)Â

12. 3DMON

You can recreate the face by drawing a line segment on a part of the non-phlatedge lines.
    I tried converting just the piece you worked on and it would cut it out but the bit would jump all over the place and would not follow the pattern around the part.
    After playing with this a little more, I'm realizing more that those feather arcs are just too tight. They need to be redone so an 1/8" bit can get in there without creating those unwanted lines. This is more work but will create a better finished product.

Merry Christmas!
    Shaun

13. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Hmm, so as it is it will not work. Figures.

As to the other problem with the white faces. I figured out what you just said. I think I remember either you or Crashman's video's had said that you "may" have to draw one line to recreate the face. I did and it took. I have the whole file worked now but it may all be for naught if the pp will not cut it out.

What would need to be done so the pp can cut this out? It's a really neat model and I would like to have it so you can cut it with the pp.

14. 3DMON

"Those feather arcs are just too tight. They need to be redone so an 1/8" bit can get in there without creating those unwanted lines. This is more work but will create a better finished product."

By this I meant take out the sharp points where the arcs are creating problems.

Crash...sorry that we hijacked your thread.

15. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

No longer a problem 3DMON, I moved the discussion to its own topic.

16. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

It's not hijacking when someone gets the help they need here! :lol:

17. 3DMON

Thats how I feel. Glad you see things like this too.

Tony did you understand what I meant by re-doing the feathers?

18. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

I did, I'm just wondering how much they will have to be re drawn.
    becuase,
    1. I suck at drawing free hand, much less with a computer.
    2. Did I say that I suck at drawing?

edit to ask:
    After looking at them again, would all you have to do is round the inside points but leave the outside points intact?

19. 3DMON

That should work. Just draw an arc to connect, then erase the pointed section.

20. 3DMON

Hey Tony,
    Just checking to see if you got this worked out.

21. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

I haven't had the chance to work on it any yet. Been busy with other projects. Will let you know when I get a chance to look at the file again.

22. kram242

Sounds good Tony this would be a nice one for the forum
    Mark

23. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Yes, I'd like to see it here as well. problem is, I'm still having issues with it wanting to cut extra lines when it has already cut that area. I fixed all the places where it was diving in and out of the feather cuts but it still doesn't want to cut a whole wing. Looks like I will end up having to bite the bullet and lose the detail of the feathers and make it more just gentle in and outs for the feathers. I'm not giving up on the project, but with the number of issues I'm running into, :x it may be some time before it is ready to be released as a viable pattern for cutting.

24. kram242

Its really a matter of getting SketchUp down, redrawing arch's in there should be a quick task.
    If you are wanting to fly this right away, just send me what you have so far and I will do my best to fix it up, this is a cool design and I think a lot of others will like it as well.
    I know how frustrating SketchUp can be at times. But if you hang in there and keep trying it you will get it down. What is happening with the over lap is that the offset tool path is telling sketchup that there is not enough room for the bit to make the turn in there so it flips over itself to be able to go the opposite way.
    Its really not a PhlatscripT error in so much as how SketchUp handles offsets this way.
    If you have ever used the offset tool in SU you will see what I mean.

Just let me know and I will fix that bird up and get it posted for you, but if you want to take your time and try to work it out that's cool too.
    Thanks Tony
    Mark