1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SketchUp Question

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Chuck, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Chuck

Chuck New Member

When I open a skp file which I have downloaded I get a message that "this is a READ ONLY file". Does this mean that I cannot modify the SketchUp drawing in any way? I have attempted to make slight modifications in more than one skp file and I am unable to do it.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in INdiana...

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to make changes, but if not just save it using the save as function.

3. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Before you open it right click on the file and left click properties. Then just uncheck Read only box and your good from there on out. Or just make changes you want and save it as a different name than the locked file.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Chuck,
    I think that means that you have not saved the file to your computer.
    When you click on the file make sure that you click on save in the next window that pops up. I think you may be clicking on open.
    Once you save it (say to your desktop) then you can open it from there by going to your desktop and double clicking on it like a regular file.
    You can also do what Shaun is saying as well as long as you save it to your computer when your finished working on it.
    Mark

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I've never had that happen?

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

It happens just like what Mark said by clicking on the file to download but instead of saving the file to the computer, you open it. Every time you do this Sketchup will throw a dialog box saying this is a read only file.

7. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks everyone. I will try these things. I appreciate the comments and the quick response to my question. Wish me luck~

Chuck

8. kram242

Chuck you can always give a call if you run into problems, we will walk you through it. :)
    Mark and Trish

9. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I know you are busy with the beast, at least you should be. A call is definitely in order because I am in the wilderness. I have been feeling really puny the past few days but as soon as I rally a bit I will give you guys a call. Thank you.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

It looks like the Colts and the Jets for the playoff game. A bit of a surprise.

10. kram242

Sounds good Chuck looking forward to it anytime that is convenient for you would be fine with us.
    a surprise indeed :D
    I not too much into sports really, but I'm just glad it was not the eagles. The boycott is on here for them hiring the dog killer!
    Mark