1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Sketchup question

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by JBourdon, Apr 1, 2009.

1. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

Imagine a face, which is not aligned to any of the 3 axes... (ok, 2 in my case)

you don't know any of the angles it was rotated.

how do you rotate it so the face ends up aligned to X & Y, and facing up?

Is there a script? or a tool already in sketchup?

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

One way which doesn't always work right is to rotate each side of the face from an endpoint. Sometimes you have to change your angle precision settings and turn angle snapping off in model info to get it to rotate so the words "on green axis" or "on red axis" show up.
    Another way is to use the unfold tool. You can pick 2 endpoints of the face and draw straight out on an axis the connect those lines as a face. Then unfold your original face to the new face. Delete this new face. Repeat on the other side. This should get things flat, but sometimes if it still insn't quite right you can use the $10 Flatten to 2d plugin.

Hope this helps,
    Shaun

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

If I may add to 3D's comment. What I do is make a square anywhere. I then pull it to make a cube. I go to the rotate tool and than with it to the cube. When the tool changes color to the axis I want, I press 'shift'. Holding shift I go to the face and click on an end point along it. Then I click 'on the edge' along the face somewhere. I then rotate until it says 'on the (what ever color) axis'. I click again and now it is flat, or almost so, to this axis. I then do the same to another axis and now I have it aligned to two axis'. If I did it to the X and Y axis, the Flatten tool will now flatten it perfect. The problem with the Flatten tool is that if you are not aligned correctly to the X and Y the part will come out only in the form of the shadow it casts on these axis' which may not be the exact size of the face.

Yoram

4. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

I was thinking of using the "face always face me" option, and look from the top, but I can't find where it is

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I hate that rotate tool. It needs to be redone. I don't see why, after you pick a rotation axis, it makes that stupid handle that you rotate. It should just let you click on a point on the object and move that directly, so you can snap it exactly where you want. That's what I am used to in other cad programs. I hate it so much that, I been primarily make groups and rotate with the "move" tool.

As far as your question, the only way I can think of is the use the "protractor" to measure the angle. And then rotate your object that exact amount. The only problem is the units. You will probably have to change it, to get more precise units.

-Kwok

6. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I've done what 3dmon as done and it works almost all the time. I also use this when I can't seem to pick the axis I want to rotate on. For example I want to rotate on red, but the rotate tool only shows blue and green.

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Read my comment above for a solution to this problem.

Yoram

8. 1fatdog

1fatdog New Member

CAN YOU SOMEHOW FOLD UP AN ITEM? SAY KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE LAYING FLAT, AND THEN WANT TO FOLD IT AROUND A CIRCLE. HOPEFULLY THAT MAKES SENCE. :roll: :?

BENJAMIN

9. Navop

Navop New Member

You can always use a script called flatten

Flattens 3D objects to 2D, placing all entities on the Z=0 plane

You can get it from

www.smustard.com

10. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

No easy way, you'd have to grab the face you want to fold, and then use the rotate tool. By the time you do it, it'd be quicker to have drawn it like you want, then unfolded again. But it really depends on what it is. do you have a pic?

11. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

No easy way, you'd have to grab the face you want to fold, and then use the rotate tool. By the time you do it, it'd be quicker to have drawn it like you want, then unfolded again. But it really depends on what it is. do you have a pic?