1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Sketchup to Gcode lines lost

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by R&RRC, Jun 16, 2009.

1. R&RRC

R&RRC New Member

Hey, everyone!

I am new to post the forums but have been digging around for a while learning all I can. I have been working up some designs trying to be ready when the bones to the MK II get here. :D

I am having some trouble with lines being lost when I generate the Gcode and open the file in Mach. I have watched all the tutorials and think I have got the Sketchup part right So i am wondering if the gremlin lies somewhere in Mach. I am running a SmoothStepper if that could be one of the problems.

Here is the Sketchup file and and the Gcode.

Thanks for the help guys and am proud to now be a fellow Phlathead! :cool:

Looking forward to letting foam fly,
    Reegan
    R&RRC Attached files Buffalo 35 in._23x47_1-8 Bit.cnc (23.5 KB)Â Buffalo 35 in._23x47_1-8 Bit.skp (387.5 KB)Â

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Hmm, you aren't missing any lines, but you have extra lines and not sure how you got them. I outputted the code from Sketchup and they don't have the extra cut lines in them (blue lines)
    If you load your script in lazycam click on chain number 21 and it shows the rogue cut lines, like I said I am not sure how they got there, it went fine from my pc Attached files Buffalo 35 in._23x47_41-8 Bit.cnc (21.9 KB)Â

3. R&RRC

R&RRC New Member

I see what your talking about in lazy cam. When I open it in Mach it look the same as you said.

Sorry, I should have stated things a little different than I should have when I said "missing lines." What is actually missing is components. I am missing the lower portion of the vertical fuse, rudder, rear portion of horizontal fuse and one side of the split elevator.

I have quite a few models drawn and the Gcode created. All of them do this same thing, leaving off components.

The gremlins are abound! LOL

Thanks again for your time help,
    Reegan
    R&RRC

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I got the same good cut file as Jnida63 when generating the phlatcode. I'm using the latest version of the phlatscript, v0.918. R&RRC have you tried generating the code again to see if it does it again? The horizontal rear fuse was the messed up part in your code. I checked it for stray lines and found two at the very rear and the phlatlines look messed up there, also. But the code still generated fine for me, like that. See attached pic.

Attached files [​IMG]

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

A word of warning to the new users here - When you click on the Gcode button in Sketchup (to generate your codes for the cut) - GO GET a drink of water, drain your built-in coffee filter, wash your hands, kiss the wife, catch a TV commercial, WHATEVER - but don't do ANYTHING else with Sketchup (or Mach) until you get that popup message saying the Gcode was generated. If you don't see the message, either the program is still working on it OR there was an error that caused it to abort early. In either of these cases, a file has been generated but it will contain really weird cutpaths or do-loops or missing parts.
    There does not seem to be any ERROR message popup, only one IF everything worked correctly.

(Now, how do I know that?) :oops:

Payshunts is a virtue, so I'm told. If I could only spell it, maybe I'd get some of it, NOW. :oops:

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I bet your using the trial version of Mach aren't you?
    It only allows 500 lines of code.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Ah - the .cnc file has 1244 lines of code, but the trial version of Mach would stop on the line that says
    " X 11.3186 Y 19.1471". That might be it, 3DMON.

(No, I didn't count the lines. I opened the .cnc file in NotePad, "select All", "Copied All", opened a new Excel file and pasted it into the first cell. Excel automatically puts each line of text into the next cell down.) :geek:

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Does it look like this? ;)

Attached files [​IMG]

9. R&RRC

R&RRC New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!

3DMon, Dorsal, the trial version of Mach was the problem. In the midst of wiring up, and loading software I totally forgot to put the license in. Everything looks right and cuts great. I fired up the steppers and let them roll through the code.

Kyyu, I noticed the extra lines a towards the tail and changed it on one file but forgot to on the others. (I keep 3 copies :oops: ) The pic you posted looks exactly like what I was seeing. I would bet that the final line is #500.

Thanks again for the help guys, I really appreciate it! I am trying to get everything in order before college starts up again (Electrical Engineering). Keeps me a little busy and away from major plane projects. :D

Thanks again,
    Reegan
    R&RRC

10. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Or you can use NCPlot v1.2 and have it number the lines. You have them then in the gcode and if the program (mach 3 or such) get stuck you know exactly where the problem is.