1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Skewing and tolerances

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by nate1001, Mar 10, 2011.

1. nate1001

nate1001 Member

Hi
    I've cut a few kits out on my phlatprinter, but have just recently started making them to sell. Im noticing some skew taking place that messes up some large pieces. If I were building it I wouldnt mind but they have to be perfect and repeatable to sell. It seems to always shift the same direction but by varying amounts. It returns to zero at a different x and y position just air cutting(bit all the way down out of the foam). Im not sure where to look to fix the problem. Also, what kind of tolerances do most use for where parts fit together? Im using 3mm depron which is actually about 2.8mm and thats what Im making my slots. They fit snug. Just wondering what most use.
    Thanks

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Sounds like you need to calibrate it some more

3. nate1001

nate1001 Member

It won't come back to the same home spot on the foam. If the calibration is off, won't it just make the pieces the wrong size. If it off, it will be off both left and right so it will come back to the same start.

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like some missed steps somewhere. Strange it is both axises

Have you tried one axis at a time?

5. nate1001

nate1001 Member

It's not necessarily both axis. The foam seems to be skewing making it angled and ending up off of where it started. I don't know where to start looking for a solution. I will try just the x axis to confirm it is a skewing problem.

6. nate1001

nate1001 Member

I might have said it wrong in my first post. I believe both axis are finishing in the same spot but the foam isn't in the same spot.

7. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Ahh, different story there, i did the spring tension mod for the top roller, some people put sand or lead shot inside their top roller to give it more pressure, that should stop your skewing issue on regular fan fold foam/depron.

For EPP you you have a whole different problem, i had to tape on strips of fan fold foam along the sides to give the rollers a stiffer medium to grab hold of.