1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SletchUcam/SketchUp2015 Errors

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by BArnold, Mar 1, 2015.

1. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

I loaded SketchUcam last week after reading some good things about it. I did a couple of basic drawings and liked what I saw with the interface and results, although I don't have my CNC "live" yet. But, when loading a more complex drawing for editing, there were errors in the elements such as missing lines. I had to completely delete all elements of SketchUcam - which wasn't easy - to restore SketchUp to normal operation.

I could find no evidence of an uninstall routine for SketchUcam. Is there one?

Will SketchUcam be safer to run in an earlier version of SketchUp?

edit: forgot to mention that I get routine "Bug Splats" since adding SketchUcam.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

I need more information to debug this. I test Sketchucam in Sketchup 8/2013/2014/2015 before release and don't have bugspats that are directly related to SketchUcam, ie I see them when doing complicated operations in Sketchup but not when using SketchUcam tools.

missing lines? is this a DXF import? is it a drawing you had in some earlier Sketchup version? more info please, and the files, and pictures.
    just cannot debug without all the information.

there is no uninstall (-: but uninstalling is just deleting a couple of files and a folder.

3. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

The drawing I had a problem with is one in which I drew the structure of a workbench/shelf in SU2015, then imported a model of a Shapeoko 2 from the warehouse. It's attached to this post.

Attached Files:

4. swarfer

look at the imported model by itself, it has missing stuff. there is nothing in sketchucam that could cause parts of a model to go missing

5. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

What is missing in the file? It looks complete when I open it. The only time I had a problem with it was after I added the SketchUcam extension.

I'm going to load a previous version of SU and add SketchUcam to it and see what happens.

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I looked at the file. What is the problem you have with it, Arnold? That is what I see in SU2015. As you can see I have SketchUcam installed.
    Untitled.png

7. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

Yep, that's what I see in SU2015 with SketchUcam installed. Much of the detail in the Shapeoko components is gone, blurred out or something. The only way I fixed it was deleting SketchUcam.

Look at the file in SU without SketchUcam installed.

8. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Looked it with and without SU and see what Yoram see's
    No difference

9. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

Hmmm.....

Here's a capture of my file with SUcam totally deleted.

SU_file1.jpg

10. TigerPilot

I'll be damned! I was able to reproduce the error. To clarify, the lines, or anything else, is not missing it's just rendered differently. I'll try to locate the 'offending' file and will report here.

Edit: Couldn't locate the file that caused it. Every time I left out a .rb file the whole script will not load and then the model looks like Arnold has it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  11. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

Part of my testing late yesterday was to download SU2013 and install it with no add-ins. I wanted to see if there were different conditions with and without SUcam. I saved my 2015 file as a 2013 file. My file rendered the same as in SU2015 even without SUcam being loaded in 2013. SUcam was still installed in SU2015.

I took another quick look just now, un-clicked "Phlatboyz Tools" in SU2015 Preferences/Extensions, restarted SU and my file looks normal. Then, I opened the copy I had saved as SU2013 with 2013 and it still has the rendering issue.

Hope this doesn't muddy the water too much.

12. swarfer

it is setting some styles that are causing some edges to be rendered transparently. maybe a better question is why the model had some odd edge styles and some that are not affected.

13. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

All of the edges that seem to be affected are on the Shapeoko model I downloaded from the warehouse. The wall and all components of the bench are items I created. The spindle and its mount were downloaded seperate from the rest of the Shapeoko model, so it looks clean even when the rest of the model goes wacky.

Why would the "style" issue cause SU to crash? That happens with some regularity with the Phlat tools active and when I have this model open.

14. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Spent the last Hour trying to reproduce the error
    I CAN NOT " Im becoming frustrated even trying / :banghead:

15. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

Guess I'm the lucky one! All I did was load SUcam and have had the issues I described. Unload it and the issues go away.

The "Styles" issue even showed up on a new, clean install of SU2013 without SUcam being installed in it; SUcam was still installed in SU2015 on the same machine.

The same issues happen on my Toshiba laptop and Compaq desktop, both with Win7 Home Premium.

16. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

Update:

I'm really not picking on you guys, just trying to provide information. In the past couple of days, I've heard from others who have had various issues with SUcam.

As I reported earlier, one issue I had after loading SUcam was routine bugsplats in SU2015. Since deleting everything I can find related to Phlat files, I have had no bugsplats. With SUcam and all of its files on my PCs, I couldn't work 20 minutes without getting a bugsplat. After deleting the files related to SUcam, I left SU2015 running for the past two days and have had no bugsplat.

I hope this can help you find some issues. You have a good product and others would like to try it with better reliability.

17. TigerPilot

I had lots of bugsplats too. I disabled autosave in SU2015 and no more bugsplats. It still makes the .skb files but it doesn't make the autosave files.

18. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

Is there a prospect for fixing this issue as well as the "styles" problem?

19. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

The autosave has been a huge bugsplater for me since SU2013 on. I don't turn it off but I set it at longer intervals.

20. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

It's been years since I got a bugsplat in SU - until I installed SUcam.

In the meantime, I've learned a number of things about trying to use SU drawings for CNC, like the way it handles arcs, so I'm working on other routes.

21. lockey

lockey New Member

I am running Sketchup version 8.0.16846 on a 64 bit windows 7 system

I downloaded and installed SketchUCam and GPlot and it worked OK

I use Sketchup a lot (many hours every day) and it all of a sudden started crashing (Bug Splat) as many as 4 times in one hour

First I removed Gplot and it seemed to fix the problem BUT it started again and crashed twice in less than ½ hour

I have now done a System restore to an earlier date and this has removed all the plugins and it now seems to be OK again

I also had the “Styles” problem, I would change it back and within seconds it would change again

Lockey

22. swarfer

sigh, this is sad news. I never have splats in SK8, but I do in 2013 through 2015. but then, i tend to open and close 8 a lot since every code change needs a restart. i had splats in 2013 before installing any plugins at all, so I thought nothing of it. I'll have to do some extended drawing sessions and see what happens.

my first thought is a memory leak, but Ruby does automatic garbage collection and there is no way to manually clear used objects, so it is probably not that, at least not directly.

meanwhile please extend the autosave time and see if it helps you.

23. TigerPilot

I had lots of bugsplashes in SU2015. I disabled the autosave option and gone are the bugsplashes. After mentioning it, here I think, Shaun said that he did something similar long time ago and has hardly any bugsplashes.

24. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Yeah it's the auto save causing the problems. I don't disable it but i set it higher. I've sent reports about it every time I got bugsplats but they still haven't fixed it.

25. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

I'm baaaaaaack........

I decided to have another go at SUcam by installing it on my shop computer that controls my CNC. I do most of my SU drawing on my office computer or laptop, so I can keep them with clean SU installs to retain autosave, etc.

I'm having a new learning curve, though. The first sketch I'm trying to set up for gcode is giving me fits! Time..........