1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SnowBall

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by gravityisnotmyfriend, Jul 24, 2013.

1. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Member

So, I'm fairly new to this forum. I've searched around and can't find anything snowball related. I'm not sure if there's no interest in one, or if it's because they are so simple to cut out by hand, that programming a PhlatPrinter is silly!

Here's the plane:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930241

I've had several. I expect to keep building the silly things - which is why a phlatprintable version would be great. They fly awesome, but have the propensity to make you over estimate your piloting skills - which leads to crashes. At least in my case, it does!

So, unless I see that it's already been done, I'm going to work on a sketchup plan for the snowball. I'm quite good with AutoCAD (not bragging - it was my job for several years!) so I'm inclined to simply draw the plane in AutoCad and convert it to Sketchup. Hopefully it won't add much of a challenge in the conversion.

I wasn't sure if this is the appropriate place for this thread. Once I'm done, there will be free plans in this post - but maybe the thread should have started somewhere else?

The only changes I plan to make is to eliminate the solid 1.5" foam for the motor pod and pontoons. I don't know if it'll be much for weight saving, but it will allow for the entire plane to be made out of the same material.

Attached Files:

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

If you eliminate the motor pod and the pontoons what's left is the Nutball! :D

3. gravityisnotmyfriend

Well, yeah.

But, I worded that poorly. I'm eliminating the 1.5" foam required to construct them. I'll be making a hollow box for the motor pod. A friend of mine has a 1.5X snowball that he built hollow pontoons for - but they are built more like canoes than flat bottom boats (if that makes sense!) - I'm going to copy that design.

I'm just eliminating the different material - not the pods and pontoons.

4. gravityisnotmyfriend

So, here's what I've gotten so far. This is the motor pod. I'm going to test cut this file before doing much of anything else. Just want to make sure it's working the way I think it will.

Importing a DWG is weird. The lines import fine, but I can't use the inside/outside cut tool right away. But, if I draw a sketchup line over an imported line, the whole body lights up. Then, I can call out the cutting line.

I'm not sure if this is normal or if it's already known, but as long as it works, I'm not concerned. I can draw far faster in AutoCAD, so I'll keep working on it this way. Probably should just get proficient in sketchup and save a step!

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Sketchup imports cad drawings in odd ways. Another way to get it to show a face is to highlight everything that is imported then right click and select Phlatten selected edges in the Phlat tools.

6. gravityisnotmyfriend

I'll have to try that next. I just went through and drew lines. Seemed to work fine. So, I've attached a 1 sheet snowball. Not sure if it'll work, but I hope to find out tonight. Kinda exciting starting a plane from nothing.

I just realized that I still need to tab this one. But, otherwise it should be good to go.

I'm considering putting slots and tabs in for wing/body connection. If there's room, I may try. If nothing else, it'll make keeping it lined up easier while the glue dries.

7. gravityisnotmyfriend

Alright, the right click, "phlattern edges" works great. Thanks, 3DMON! I've added tabs to help line up the main body and wings. I'm going to try and cut this out tonight. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

8. gravityisnotmyfriend

Driver watchdog activated? Da heck does that mean? So far, it's looking good - but it made it about half way and alarmed out.

I hope I can save the cut. I'm on my last sheet of foam!

9. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Your SKP file is version 13. Most of use Sketchup version 7 since it is proven with the phlatscript. I believe the version 7 file is here on the forum.

10. TigerPilot

Or...you can save it as version 7 under 'Save As' in version 2013

11. gravityisnotmyfriend

Learning new things every day! Guess that's why my version is always asking if I want to save as the newer version or stay with the old. I've saved the file as version 7, but I need to update it before posting again. Seems I've got the slots for the motor pod on the wing a tab width too narrow. I need to fix it, but really won't have time til Friday night or Saturday. But, when I do get it updated, I'll upload it.

12. gravityisnotmyfriend

So, it's been awhile. But I've got the updates done and my PhlatPrinted Snowball flies great. Probably the lightest of any I've built. Had it out buzzing around in the snow in my backyard like a snowball should!

I've edited the opening post to add the final version of the sketchup file. And, I deleted the older versions to clean things up a bit.

13. TigerPilot

14. gravityisnotmyfriend

I'll get some pics and/or video next time I take her out in the snow.

If nothing else, I'll post something up after this weekend. We're doing an indoor flying event and the snowball will be getting plenty of air time.