1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SO...you wanna talk lights?

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII MODIFICATIONS' started by iflyos, Oct 2, 2009.

1. iflyos

iflyos Member

Well take a look at this!!

But when you turn out the lights...

Really simple to do, I used some red translucent paper/plastic material that Brandy had in her scrapbook drawer...cut it to fit behind the letters, and then used a strip of 120v neon lamps to illuminate the strip.
    Pretty neat effect, I think, and it reminds me when I have left the PP on....

Tim
    AG4RZ Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hahahahaha! That looks pretty cool - er hot - well you get what I mean. It looks great. :cool:

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Very cool!!! Indeed.
    Wow Tim I have to do this mod, do you have the light working from the same power supply as the board? or did you just plug into the power strip and turn everything on at the same time?
    Nice job I love it.
    Mark

4. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Looks kind of fitting for the Halloween season. :shock:

5. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

The lights look awesome Tim!! Love it. Really interested in knowing how it's powered.

6. iflyos

iflyos Member

They are just the standard Neon bulbs like are used for a cheap AC outlet tester, or as indicator lamps in some equipment. They run off of the power strip, so when it it (and the rest of the machine) is on, they are on as well.

The material is called Vellum, and Brandy says you can get it at any good craft store. (Micheals, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore..)

They have different colors too. I am thinking about adding yellow to the two cutouts on either end of where it says PhlatPrinter!

Tim
    AG4RZ

7. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Vellum, great idea. Were you able to utilize any of the pre-drilled holes? We thought of lighting several times as we designed the MK II and tried to place holes where we thought they would be needed.

You know the plastic that is used to wrap gift baskets or Christmas presents? We have some in black. I got it from the dollar store and it looks like you wrapped your present in a trash bag but it might look cool on the Phlatprinter. I know we are keeping it for some reason :)

Thanks for sharing. Really looks great!

Mark and Trish

8. iflyos

iflyos Member

The pre drilled holes is where I am going to run the power thru when I PhlatFlip it tomorrow for a good cleaning! One of them is in the PERFECT place! I also am hoping to work on lighting the pointer as well, while I have the machine open..

I know the plastic you are talking about...Brandy has some of that too...I have looked at it hard several times wondering what I could so with it!! You know some of it is shrinkable, don't you?

Tim
    AG4RZ

BTW..I handed out some more brochures at the fly-in today!