1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SOLD -- PhlatPrinter MK1+ For Sale - Greater Pittsburgh Area

Discussion in 'Used Phlatprinters FORSALE' started by rcav8r, Sep 2, 2010.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

SOLD

Pickup preferred. I will meet you 1/2 way within a 50 mile radius. If shipped, buyer to assume all shipping/crating costs.
    If unit is not picked up, I can supply video of it in action. If picked up, I will run the machine before removing components that are not wanted.

Price depends on options selected.

The machine started out as a very early version of a Phlatprinter. It uses the MK1 case. Some changes I made:
    * Cabinet was put together so it can easily be taken apart for maintenance, upgrades, etc. Original was meant to be glued together. This one is screwed together with blind nuts and 6/32 machine screws in key areas.
    * Y axis was converted to a belt drive from 1/4x20 threaded rod. This takes the speed up to about 175IPM from the original 30ipm. I have gone higher, but run it at 175.
    * Z axis was converted to 12 pitch rod from original 20 pitch. Speed went from 8ipm to about 30ipm.
    * Adjustable Fences added to allow cutting of wood.
    * UHMW surface added to allow wood to slide on the X table for easier, more accurate cuts in wood. UHMD is Ultra High Molecular Weight materiel that is SUPER slippery, and almost impossible to scratch.
    * Spring system added to top rollers to better grab the material to allow more accurate Z axis cuts, and higher Z axis speeds particularly when cutting wood. Not needed for foam.
    * Chain retention system added to lid to take weight off hinges
    * Lighted limit switches. ( original had none)
    * Z axis switch to turn off cutting tool when cutting is done
    * Z axis set up to use Roto Zip flex shaft. Flex shaft is potted in epoxy/micro balloons so it is VERY ridged. Original uses Dremel and would bog down when cutting wood, and would float in the mount when cutting wood.
    * Table extensions allowing longer material to be cut.

Overview...
    * The machine was designed to cut a full sheet of fan fold foam (FFF) (24"x48")
    * Cut width is limited to 22" due to my belt drive mod, but you can still fit material about 26" in the machine.
    * length of materiel/cut is only limited to the size material you can obtain and how much room you have.
    * My mods allow balsa/ ply to be cut easily
    * I have cut 1/4 aircraft ply with no problems. Others have even cut 1/4" MDF with their modded machines.
    * It is not designed to cut metal or other hard material, I have not cut metal with mine.

Included:
    * All mechanics in cabinet as described above.
    * % 3 stepper motors. Y and Z are upgraded steppers. X is stock.
    * Roto Zip Flex shaft mounted on Z gantry.
    * % Roto zip motor unit negotiable.
    * 1/8" tile cutting bit. Good for cutting foam. Too big to get good corners in balsa as the parts are usually smaller.

Not included, but needed:
    * % Driver board. (around $100-$150 depending on what you choose)
    * % Roto Zip motor unit ( around $75 from Big Box retailer, or Phlatboyz)
    * Software to drive the machine. ( $175 or Free. Free version runs on Linux.)
    * Computer to run the machine. Any old PC with a parallel port should work. I am using a VERY old PIII with 256Meg of RAM using MachIII on Windows XP base install and Ubuntu running EMC (http://linuxcnc.org/)
    * Extra Cutting bits. If only cutting foam the 1/8" bit is fine. I use a 1/16" end mill for cutting balsa/Ply ( can get end mills from Enco ). I also use the bits from the bit kit from the PhlatBoys that work well also.

% - These items are negotiable to be included or not.

Reason for selling: Upgrading to V3 Phlatprinter.

2. nate1001

nate1001 Member

How much are you looking to get for this with the stepper motors?

3. rcav8r

Hi Nate;
    Asking $270 picked up or +shipping/crating
    This is with 3 steppers, the rotozip flex shaft tool....(not motor unit)

Where are you located?
    THANKS

4. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Wow!!! That is a great deal!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: I should buy it, just to resell it at a reasonable price. I wonder what shipping would cost, from PA to CA?
    I'll have to add a Bookmark in my browser to "Crazy Dave's PhlatPrinter Super Liquidation". :)

6. nate1001

nate1001 Member

I'm about 45 minutes outside of Philly. Thinking of possibly driving out

7. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Great price. I'd drive there to pick it up from Michigan if I didn't already have a MK II to build.

8. nate1001

nate1001 Member

Could I get rough estimate on how much to ship it to 18944? I'm almost positive I'll take it but want to figure out how to get it.

9. rcav8r

Hi Nate;

Let me get it weighed, and check with the shipping folks here at work form some shipping options. I'll let you know what I find out.

THANKS
    Dave

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Dave - Shipping size will be the part that costs a bunch, not the weight. Use a tape measure, just guess the weight at 40 pounds.
    I just got a quick quote from UPS, guessing the dimensions at 30X14X22 and it says the "Billable Weight" is calculated at 48lbs. and would cost $68.28 to ship (cheapest and slowest) from my town to his.
    Nate - it would be a lot cheaper and more fun for you to drive it. You'll be paying yourself ~ $30 per hour to drive the round-trip.

11. nate1001

nate1001 Member

Its about 5 hours to pittsburgh, around 300 miles one way. Cost of gas would be at least $60 round trip( 30mi/gal x $3 for premium). So depending on shipping and packing, I might want it sent.

12. flyn_brian

flyn_brian New Member

I will buy it if it isn't sold yet I have the cash and willing to make the trip but prefer it sent if possible my zip is 46536. Or Lakeville Indiana

13. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to give my 2 cents. I'd recommend picking it up rather than getting it shipped. Postal carriers aren't going to be as careful moving it around as the buyer would be.
    Just a thought...

That's an awesome deal rcav8r.

14. rcav8r

Hay Dennis; Thanks for the UPS info. I checked with our shipping dept... They recommended them for this too. I did a quick calculation, and even thought I put in 50# they had it at 86#. Maybe they were adding crating/packaging. Even at that it was only 40 some dollars with $300 insurance, and is supposed to get there in 2 days. I can get the exact dollar amount when crated.

Nate, I hear you on the drive. I'm about 45 minute west of Pittsburgh, so even if I met you 50 miles out for me, that's still a 5 hour drive....and on the PA turnpike :( That's probably another $30 each way in tolls.
    Also I did say the tables are included, but after looking it over that will add a fair amount to the shipping. Probably be best to put in a separate box/container for best chance of arriving in one piece.. I can leave them out if you want as they are only 2 sheets of blue-core and it is the first thing most folks cut when they fire up their PhlatPrinter

On the other hand, I'm also a little in the same camp as Shaun... I plan on crating it really well, but that won't help it much if it drops off the truck. I never had any problems with anything shipped to me or what I ship, and I ship a ton of stuff for work, all be it the stuff is way smaller. But I have heard lots of shipping mishap stories... Heck early this summer my buddy just had a plane (ARF box) delivered to him with a giant hole completely through it including stuff coming out of it when it picked it up. And they left it on the his porch like that.

Brian; I'll work up the shipping/crating cost for you if Nate decides he does not want it. Also where is Lakeville? We have a plant in Edinburgh, and I may be able to get it there "safer".

I have a full plate this weekend, but will pick up the crating materials so it should be ready to ship for Tuesday. Also let me know if you want any pictures of my mods, etc.

THANKS ALL
    Dave

15. flyn_brian

flyn_brian New Member

I'm 9 miles south of South Bend Indiana And would be able to Pay-pal you the money right away with an e-mail address. As far as being able to pick it up I would be able to pick it up next week end. This week end is filled up because the wife and I are going to Algonac Michigan to deliver an alto sax to an 11 year old girl who thinks she's going to have to play a clarinet but really wants a saxophone (I cant wait to see the look on her face). We found a good deal on one on ebay classified and snatched it up. The girls birthday is next week but she starts lessons on monday. So we got her an early birthday gift :)

16. nate1001

nate1001 Member

I'll take it shipped. Don't worry about the tables, I have foam laying around. Let me know how to pay. Thanks

17. rcav8r

Hi Nate: THANKS. I'll shoot you a PM shorty with the details. Paypal will be fine. I won't know the total until I get it crated and weighed. I hope to do that Monday. Just got in tonight, and tomorrow is tied up too. I'll document where everything goes.(wiring and such)
    Just to recap:
    It includes PhlatPrinter MKI modified as described in 1st post.
    3 Stepper motors (2 new, 1 original)
    Roto Zip flex shaft
    1/8" PhlatBit

Motor unit for Roto Zip, not included.

THANKS again.

Brian;

Sorry that it didn't work out on the PhlatPrinter, but I'm sure your sax story will more than make up for it. My son just started the trumpet... he really wanted the sax until he held/wore it. He's 11 also... Hope the little girl is stronger than my son :D

18. flyn_brian

flyn_brian New Member

Congrats Nate. I'm sure you'll enjoy your MK1. rcav8r thank you for considering giving me the chance its just a well. The 11 year old girl is more than capable of handling the sax it even looks right for her. She told me that last year she would beat up the boys in her class LOL . She's an all A student. It was great to be able to give a kid what they wanted but didn't expect or even know about. It was also great for my wife to see her long time best friend. :D

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

20. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations Nate! Welcome to the Phlatclub :)
    Mark and Trish

21. nate1001

nate1001 Member

What kind of steppers does it have and what kind of driver board did you use? I want to order a driver bd so I'm ready. Thanks for the info

22. rcav8r

HI Nate;
    It has 2 of the steppers that Mark and Trish sell, and one of the original steppers. Some folks had problems with the original steppers, but I never did.. I think it was a QC issue. I swapped them out trying to troubleshoot a problem when in reality it was a setting I had wrong. The new steppers are on the Z and Y axis. The original stepper is on the X axis.

For the driver card, the one I use came in a kit with the 3 original steppers that I got from a 3rd party as Mark and Trish weren't selling the electronics at the time... They worked out a deal with the 3rd party for those who bought a PhlatPrinter. I believe they are now selling the same board.
    http://www.phlatboyz.com/phlatstore/#ec ... uct=369624

Other guys here use different boards, but I've been happy with the one I have. It runs cool to the touch, and any "failures" were something I was doing, not the board. Maybe one of the guys who runs a different board can chime in and give some advice

What software do you plan on using? I have been using Mach3, and will give you the setup info if you plan on using that. I did dabble with EMC, but got Mach3 as it was a known, and I wanted one less variable when I was working out the issues of the early setup.

I'm gonna start the crating tonight after work, and after I make a few cuts for a buddy. He needs some stencils cut of the company logo for the company he works for.

23. rcav8r

Well as always happens, "things" popped up that delayed me getting the Phlat Printer crated, and shipped today. I was really hopping to get it in the mail today so to speak, but my wife had some minor surgery this AM, and with most things hospital related, we got home a LOT later than we should have, and by the time I got home I had to shuttle the kids around to/from their various activities....

With that said, I just finished creating and it is ready to go. I will ship tomorrow from work once I get some info from Nate.

I also took some video of the "final cut" so to speak, but somehow it is not showing up on the memory card.

Anyway, Nate, PM on the way. And here are some pics of it getting created, and it created...all 63 pounds Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

:D Nice packing job Dave! Love the blue core packing foam. :D

25. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Duct tape? On a PP ? :eek: