1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Something to distract me from the Phlatprinter

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Gefahren, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Well, everyone gets there winter projects going at this time of year, So after the phlatprinter (not done with it, but holding for mor info) I found something that could really distract me for months to come if I'm not careful.

Here's a picture of the work area I've got to straighten out for the additions, Munchkin included for scale...

[attachment=0]IMG_0314[1].JPG[/attachment]

Tommorrow evening I'll post the results, can anyone guess what it is? Attached files .JPG][​IMG]

2. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

An instrument of some kind, keyboard, drum kit ?

Tweakie.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wii fit studio? :)
    Mark and Trish

4. crash5050

crash5050 Member

X Box Connect?

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yea what crash505 said... Wii fit would be too much work :)

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Converting all your CDs into mp3s?

7. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Wall unit

8. kram242

Good guess Jeff :) I think you may be right!
    Mark and Trish

9. 7up

No, no, 55" Plasma TV!!!

10. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Well, Jeff and Buk are closest so far, I'll get a picture up later on this evening. I'm getting to used to a desk job, I don't like all this sweating stuff.

11. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Ok, here's the TV stand I made, probably not the best work, but probably the best that I can make.

It's amazing how much bigger things seem when you get them organized.

Munchkin included for scale...

[attachment=0]IMG_0318[1].JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_0317[1].JPG[/attachment]

If my wife ever lets me, I'll try to get some better pictures of the stand, she's afraid I'd get in the way of some portion of the screen right now, and then she might miss something... sheesh. Attached files .JPG][​IMG] .JPG][​IMG]

12. 7up

Wow! That is one big TV!

13. kram242

Your TV could eat ours and never know it![​IMG]
    JK not ours :lol: but might as well be for the little TV we watch around here

14. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I used to work at an electronics retail store and got used to watching big TV's all day but I could never afford one myself. I felt I'd really moved up in the world when I got married and my wife already had a 51" TV. I "accidently" mentioned these huge Mitsubishi's two Christmas's ago and she's never let me forget it, so this year I finaly got things in order to get the 82" tv you see in the pictures. I might actually start watching TV now!

The stand was just something I came up with after we ordered the TV, it came out much better than could be expected from my poor woodworking skills. It even has casters under it so I can move it around to get to all the connections easier! So, while I'm certainly excited over the TV, I'm really Happy over how well I made the stand. As a matter of fact, I made it to be temporary until we could get something better, but my wife really likes it and just wants to stain it and keep it.

15. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Is that a LED LCD? Now I have to get me one too!!!

16. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

It would be a DLP not an LCD. Very nice pictures from DLP tv's 6 color guns and 3D ready!!!

17. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

82" :eek: Wow!
    That's crazy cool. The stand looks good from here. :D

18. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

82" Holy cow, hope you have a big room. We have a 53" and it's ALMOST too big for the room, and the room is 20x20
    We got ours about 5 years ago. When I first saw the HD TV's at BB and CC, I never saw what the big deal was as the pictures actually looked like a kid drew them with a crayon. I later found they were feeding them regular video that they split about 25 times. Well my buddy got a 40" plasma and asked me to hook it up as he had no idea what this HD thing was. Well with the right signal I was sold. We ended up with 53" which was way bigger than we wanted, but at that time, the LCDs would stutter on action shots ( couldn't imagine watching a hockey game on that), and plasmas had a 5 year half life on brightness, and the DLPs were just starting in the 50" range and went up. What steered everyone away from the DLPs was that it had a lamp that needed replaced. That's what I liked about it. It would always be bright. My buddy's 5+ year old plasma is now rather dark with quite a few missing pixels. Ours is still as bright as it ever was with only one dead pixel in the far upper right of the screen.

Not sure what your feeding it with, but our local cable supplier here (comcast) puts out a junk signal. Pixelates like mad, out of sync video/audio, and a super compressed HD & digital signal. A gradated background on cartoons would show as 3 strips of different shades of a color, no gradation. About 3 years ago we switched to Direct TV. The picture was SO much better that friends that came over thought we got a new TV. Even our non-HD channels are crisp where with comcast they had what seemed like about 6 levels of luminance.

btW, I think the stand looks GREAT.

19. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Actually the DLP's don't have guns like the older Projection TV's. This one uses a single DLP chip for the display. Now those DLP chips are neat, millions of little mirrors on a microchip that you can individualy rotate to reflect the light or not.
    I seem to remeber at one time Mitsubishi doing a TV with three separate DLP chips, but I find no documentation saying they are doing that in this one. It does only have one lamp in it, and they made it on a cartrige system so you can change it easy. Of course the old TV we had was 7 years old and never needed a new lamp, so I'm not expecting to ever change it myself. The other thing I like about the DLP, is you don't have to align anything when you first get the TV, I always hated doing that when I worked retail.

We're on DISH network, with all the HD channels, plus I just got a bluRay player, we put in Fantasia 2000 just to see, wow, that's a good picture.

20. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

21. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Yes, they make LCD's that size, but not Mitsubishi, that's why i knew it was a DLP, I had my eyes on the 82 inch before i got laid off.
    I my opinion the DLP tv's have a much better picture at this moment, even better than the LED backlit ones. Not to mention the price of an LCD that size vs. a DLP which would be thousands of dollars.

22. iflyos

iflyos Member

Dude..PLEASE tell me you have a computer hooked up to it, and you are flying the sim on it...or at least drawing planes in SketchUp!!!

I keep threatening to buy a decent sized monitor so I can design/sim in the living room...but for some reason Brandy seems to think a TV is for television of all things :shock:

I mean..comeon...why waste a HUGE computer monitor on watching TV? :mrgreen: